Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Ugh. I'm not happy to report this. And I get the feeling it is very rare, as I've only read a few other cases, but I thought I would just let everyone else know:

*MBP Whine - associated with when the monitor turns on, high pitched white for 30 seconds - 2 minutes.

*screen not flush with body when closed

*sluggish expose - i think its a video problem

*dropping of ext. HDDs

Because this is a developer order, I am having a hell of a time getting this fixed. I need to send it back to them, which is going to put me without a computer for 2+ weeks. not a happy switcher here.

Clydefrog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2006
Pittsburgh,PA
haven't experienced the whine with mine, expose is fine, my Lacie ext HD is fine, and the screen mine seems fine, i thought you didn't want it to be seemless because the screen will touch the keys

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
No problems, as listed above, or in general to speak of.

So, "Just FYI- there ARE some problems with SOME of the new MBPs"

jsd

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
Orange, CA
Some times when you call Applecare they'll quote you 1-2 weeks, but I've never had it take more than one single day (+2 days shipping), and I've sent in a computer 4 times.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Some times when you call Applecare they'll quote you 1-2 weeks, but I've never had it take more than one single day (+2 days shipping), and I've sent in a computer 4 times.
Same for me. Not 4 times, though, but 2 different computers, months apart. Only out of my hands for 3 days total.

I know others who have had different experiences, though.

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Oh I wasn't indicating that all or even most of the MBPs had problems. I know this is a very isolated incident, I just wanted to let people know that some of the problems we thought were fixed from the old revision are not.

The screen not being flush would be OK if it was uniform. I meant to say that the screen pulls up only on the left side when it is closed. Not much at all - but enough that it is noticeable.

The problem with getting a repair has to do with who you talk to. I first called tech support. they verified that it was a problem and i was transfered to Sales to set up a return/replacement. I got all the way through the process and then they realized it was an ADC purchase so they sent me over to ADC. he then went to set up the return/replacement. My big problem is that to do a return replacement I was told by the ADC guy that I would probably be without my computer for 2 weeks. That's 2 weeks where I can do no work, and have to go to labs to continue my school work. It is a horrible situation, and because it was ADC they could offer no compensation or try and expedite the process (something about how you can't get any "good will gestures" with ADC purchases).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

Must be nice...I dropped my PowerBook off at a Genius Bar (San Francisco flagship) for an Applecare-covered keyboard replacement and it took them ten days.

SilentCrs

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Ugh. I'm not happy to report this. And I get the feeling it is very rare, as I've only read a few other cases, but I thought I would just let everyone else know:

*MBP Whine - associated with when the monitor turns on, high pitched white for 30 seconds - 2 minutes.

*dropping of ext. HDDs

Because this is a developer order, I am having a hell of a time getting this fixed. I need to send it back to them, which is going to put me without a computer for 2+ weeks. not a happy switcher here.

Coming from the PC world and just ordered a MacBook C2D.

Of what you mentioned, 3 of the 4 (everything but the case closing) sounds to be fixable through software/firmware updates.

If the case closing is one hinge, or is lopsided, I'd say that's a problem. If it's uniformly leaving a millimeter or two of space it might be intentional.

To me, a flush case is a non-issue. Even the whine really is a non-issue. Stuff like sluggish Expose will irritate me, but Apple can probably fix that quickly.

5150 Joker

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Davis, California

*dropping of ext. HDDs

I have none of the problems you mentioned.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
if you notice...there are little plastic tabs near the top of the screns that prevent it from sitting totally flush with the body of the macbook pro, and there is some resistance against putting the screen all the way down so you can release it. Mine's still relatively even all around, but the right corner gap is slightly smaller than the let side. No biggie. its alumnium. it'll bend.

Delay in expose? tell me how so i can see if i can replicate it...cause i either dont have it or i dont notice it.

Under bootcamp i get a hissing noise near the power adapter area. Strangely not under OSX.

edit: i opened 8 windows for various applications and expose still smoothly and quickly showed all windows. how do you do it?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
*dropping of ext. HDDs

It has happened before, the corrupted external drives was a real problem a while back.

Likely it'll mean a firmware update on the drives -- or avoiding a specific chipset entirely.

Of course it could also be a port power problem, which means the OS shutting a high draw port -- and requiring a power brick on the drive.

iBorg20181

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

*dropping of ext. HDDs

Zero problems with mine - take yours back for replacement!

iBorg

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Now thats a scary thought. :eek:

They replaced my slightly-pitted top case without me requesting it, so that took a bit of the sting out, but still...ten days for a keyboard replacement? Please. :rolleyes:

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
just thought I would add:

it seems like the whine is getting worse, or has been compounded. Now whenever the MBP is on it emits a much quieter, higher pitched sound. i have really good hearing I guess, b/c my roomate can't hear it.

I'll be returning it tomorrow.

datamage

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006
My new C2D is flawless so far.

It's pretty stupid to think that electronics aren't going to have defects. The question is whether the MBPs are widely affected, and it doesn't appear to be that way.

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
My MBP also doesn't close evenly... there is a disproportionate amount of space between the display and the case on one side. I'm not sure if this problem or defect is worth sending it in, though.

Ryvius

macrumors member
May 4, 2004
My MBP also doesn't close evenly... there is a disproportionate amount of space between the display and the case on one side. I'm not sure if this problem or defect is worth sending it in, though.

I have this problem too. My disproportionate is on the upper left side when closed.

Its annoying. Livable. But annoying.

Can anything be done about it?

Katharine

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006

I've had the opposite problem. They always say they will get back in 57- business days and I've never had one back in under 10 business days. It's now happened 3 times.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA

*dropping of ext. HDDs

* Mine is completely silent, other than the normal HDD access. No whine at all, not when it's cold, not when it's hot.

* Screen sits perfectly on the four rubber pads on the LCD.

* My Expose is very quick. Both on A/C and on Battery.

* Mounted my G-Drive, coppied my 41GB user folder to the MBP. No drops.

I think you have a defective unit. Should really take it into the store and have them replace it.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
You most certainly have a lemon, mine is issueless thus far except for the display brightness issue which is widespread apparently. Expose flies, no whine whatsoever (and i am very sensitive) and my screnn whilst not perfect flush is waaay better than the previous refurb i got. The gap is maybe 1 millimetre at most, and therefore i consider it flush because i cant tell unless i really look for it.

Again your machine is special and i'd get it replaced if i were you. Hope you get a good one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.