Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevin83165

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Illinois
I can buy this

G4/450MHz Sawtooth 256/20GB DVD (no keyboard/mouse)

Our Price: $175.00 plus shipping makes it $200 something

I want this for my wife and kids, just something to surf the net and do email etc. until next year when I can get us an iMac with Leopard. But heres some questions and these computers are a little before my time.

1. Can OS X Tiger be squeezed onto this?
2. Can a PC USB keyboard and mouse be used on this?
3. Can I connect a Dell 17" LCD straight up to this or do I need any adapters?
4. Can I put a USB bluetooth adapter on this if I cant get OS X installed on it to use our wireless keyboard?

Thanks to all

hotboiled

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
i have a g4/400

1. Can OS X Tiger be squeezed onto this?
yes

2. Can a PC USB keyboard and mouse be used on this?
yes

3. Can I connect a Dell 17" LCD straight up to this or do I need any adapters?
vga ? dvi ?

4. Can I put a USB bluetooth adapter on this if I cant get OS X installed on it to use our wireless keyboard?

on osx yes
i just plugged in my msi USB bluetooth adapter and it works perfect with my sonnyericsson phone

get more RAM !!!

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Tht is a pretty nice machine. i have a few answers here that i hope will help.

1)yes it will run fine
2)yeppers
3) Depending on the ports of the video card and seeing as it is a sawtooth you should get both DVI and VGA ports.
4)there are a few models that will work with macs i beleive D-Link has one or two.

I hope this helps.

Kevin83165

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Illinois
Great I am thinking to buy one or 2 of these.

They take standard PC100 RAM? Or did I read that wrong?

Also is there a hard drive limitation past 120 gigs or something?

And do I have to boot up into OS 9 first or something? I would just as soon get Tiger on this and be done with it (and I have that same Dlink bluetooth adapter, it works great for me too lol)

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
they will take PC100/133 and the harddrive is lmited to either 137 or 127GB i can't quite remember but you can get a newer IDE controller PCI card and have Larger drives. you can boot directly to the Tiger DVD and you don't have to instal OS 9 unless you want classic.
I hope this information helps you. By the way the sawtooth is an awesome machine. :)

Kevin83165

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Illinois
Because you have told me these things, I am buying 2 of them. I have several family members who all need internet access and this should cool their noodles until next year :p .

if you have any other relevent information feel free to post here, Im all eyes :) and thanks for the info thus far !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.