Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 5, 2006, 09:47 PM   #1
apple_iBoy
macrumors 6502

need some help from iBook owners

I just upgraded from a 12" iBook to a new MacBook Pro. My iBook is still working nicely and I'd like to give it to my bf's parents. The only issue with it is that the little magnetic latch that swings out from the screen bezel came unattached several months ago.

I was rather annoyed when it happened, but I discovered what a big to-do it would be to take apart the LCD housing to try to fix it, so I just left it as is. But before I give it away, I'd like to now permanently afix the latch in the "out" position with some strong epoxy glue or something, so that the screen can be properly latched shut.

I was wondering if some kindly iBook user out there could do a couple quick measurements of the latch in the out position, so I know where to put it. Knowing how far it's supposed to stick out and how far it is from the side of the little hide-away in the bezel would be excellent.

Thanks! And by the way, if anyone can think of a better solution to this problem, please let me know!
apple_iBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple_iBoy View Post
Thanks! And by the way, if anyone can think of a better solution to this problem, please let me know!
Fixing it would be preferable, but failing that I'd probably just use a strap or something like an elasticated band, instead of gluing it together.

If it helps, the slot is ~16mm long and the left edge of the 'hook' is ~5mm from the left of the slot when extended. The latch itself appears to be ~5mm from the surface of the lid, to the top edge of the 'hook'.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:13 PM   #3
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

On my 500 MHz 12" iBook, the latch sticks out just a shade under 7 mm from the bezel.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:37 AM   #4
apple_iBoy
macrumors 6502

thanks guys... I'll give it a shot!
apple_iBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs