Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:35 AM   #1
aussiemac86
macrumors 6502

New internal HDD for dual 2.5GHz G5 PM -suggestions?

I'm thinking of adding another Hard Drive to my Powermac, I'm looking for 7200rpm, and somewhere upwards of 300GB. At present I just have the 160GB stock drive in it. So here are a few questions;

How often are HDD's updated by manufacturers, and should I perhaps wait till the next major update to get a bit better value.

Brands, I hear seagate, western digital are good, i'd be glad to hear others opinions though.

I'm thinking of using the additonal HDD as a place to store my collection of DVD's (mostly in divX format) as well as using it to record TV to (it comes in as a DV stream, so need ~13GB/hour of TV. So it isnt really urgent that I get it now, but I'm thinking sometime in the next few months.

Any other aussies got recommendations for good vendors?

Cheers
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:49 AM   #2
livingfortoday
macrumors 68030

Any drive brand will be good, just check what kind of warranty it has on it. I have a ton of Maxtor's, and I think they either bought Seagate or were bought by Seagate, 'cause my new ones say both Seagate and Maxtor on them. Either way, good drives. So yeah, just check the warranty, and try to get a 16MB cache, and you should be good.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 06:30 AM   #3
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

Although any name brand drive will do fine, most folks here usually have a preference. Mine is Maxtor and/or WD. Simply because I have used them both and never had any problems with either one

My B&W came with a Maxtor in '99, and it's still running just fine as a maintenance drive in my Sawtooth right now. And the Raptors I use extensively everyday are going strong at 3yrs+.........

However, Seagate has 5yr warranties on their drives, which can be a selling point for some people........
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:16 AM   #4
rob5
macrumors regular

i'm partial to WD as I've used them the longest ...

i just ordered 2x 500GB WD RE2s for my new Mac Pro which should be shipping soon - they offer a 5 year warranty and are 'enterprise' according to WD, i believe.
rob5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs