Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longmover

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
Wales, UK
Just for a laugh I've imaged some ancient MSDOS 6.22 & Win 3.11 floppies and made a virtual 3.11 machine on Parallels. Only thing is there are no drivers for sound/video. Anyone have any idea what might work? Are there any generic drivers out there that someone has got to work with this setup..?

A long shot I know but you can't blame me for being nostalgic :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The closest I've had to a "functional" 3.1 install is OS/2 Warp with WIN-OS2. Parallels includes drivers for OS/2 :)

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
A few weeks ago for fun I installed the following in VMs under Parallels:

Windows 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 3.11, 95A, 95B, 95C, 98, 98SE, (skipped ME, I'm insane not stupid), NT4, 2K, XP SP2, 2K3 and Vista. All ran just fine given the ability to do it at all.

I was planning to get them all up and running at the same time but even with dual 1680x1050 monitors the screenshot(s) just wouldn't contain them all, but it was fun for the day.

bb

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
LOL I remember windows 2, it was the first version I ever used, actually all I used was paint as all my games were dos based

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I managed to source a disk image of Microsoft Bob and tried to install that under Parallels. Didn't work and I think that was based on 3.0. Earliest Parallels supports is 3.1.

Anyway, currently attempting Vista under Parallels, again. Going a lot better than any previous attempt.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
Breaking out the thread defibrillator... :)

I have a Windows 3.11 virtual machine running in the latest version of Parallels. I'd like to try and give it internet access for kicks through Parallel's bridged or shared networking. The only problem is I don't know what network card driver to use, and there's no TCP/IP stack. I installed 3.11 via floppy disk images that were transferred from another computer to my mac. For some reason, I can't access the virtual floppy drive now that 3.11 is running, and I have no idea on how to get CD drivers on it.

Has anyone had any success getting a TCP/IP stack or a web browser for Windows 3.11 in Parallels?

miccet

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2007
Breaking out the thread defibrillator... :)
Has anyone had any success getting a TCP/IP stack or a web browser for Windows 3.11 in Parallels?

Sure, I used Wolverine from this link:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/peropsys/windows/public/tcpip/

I got IE 5 working on Windows 3.11 and it's really fast. It loads most pages, but of course it's a bit outdated by now.

I tried ICQ 3.11 version, and it launches and all, but when I'm gonna register my UIN it won't. I think this is due to the protocols beeing updated and earlier versions blocked. Can anyone confirm this?

h0lden

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Thread Necromancy

sorry to resurrect the dead ass thread, but i really could use some help getting win 3.11 to work in parallels 5. everything installs fine but when i run 'win' to get it going i get the splash screen and the it blacks out with just a blinking cursor and is frozen. what am i doing wrong? please help!

edit: i solved the problem. i had to add DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.exe to config.sys to be able to load win 3.11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.