Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:16 PM   #1
squirrelhenge
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
white iBook "head transplant"

Greetings,

I have a 500MHz white iBook that a cat dumped a glass of milk on a few years ago. It still works, but the screen is fried; it comes on but it's too dark to make anything out. We use it hooked up to an external monitor right now. After the incident, we sent it to Small Dog (where we bought it from as a refurb) and they cleaned it up and said the issue was with the video card, I think, but I've lost all those e-mails.... Anyway, it wasn't a motherboard or logic board or whatnot.

Recently I came into possession of another 500MHz iBook that has other issues which make it unsuitable for daily use (it turns off randomly). However, it has a perfectly suitable screen. I'd like to swap it for the bad one, so I have a laptop again instead of a keyboard tethered to a 20 in. display.

If there's anyone there who's done this operation before and can offer me a step-by-step guide, or direct me to one on the web, I'd apprecaite it. I prefer to be e-mailed directly to squirrelhenge AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks,

Eric
squirrelhenge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:01 AM   #2
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBoo...2-Inch/Display

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:05 AM   #3
Warbrain
macrumors 603
 
Warbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
That's one hell of a disassembly. I've never actually looked at the steps, but it's pretty hardcore.


POST 1000 MOTHER****ERS!!
__________________
WARBRAIN
Twitter | Blog
MacBook Pro 15" | iPad 3 32 GB LTE | iPad 2 16 GB | iPhone 4S 16 GB White | iPod touch 4G 64 GB | iPhone 4 16 GB Black
Warbrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:56 AM   #4
livingfortoday
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Msp
So a cat broke your iBook and a small dog tried to fix it?
__________________
iMac / iPhone
livingfortoday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:26 AM   #5
mopppish
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingfortoday View Post
So a cat broke your iBook and a small dog tried to fix it?
...

...

............



Once in a lifetime, man...
__________________
15" Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz 2GB
5G 60GB ipod video (in black)
mopppish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:07 AM   #6
mick4394
macrumors 6502a
 
mick4394's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Flyover country
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelhenge View Post
Greetings,

I have a 500MHz white iBook that a cat dumped a glass of milk on a few years ago. It still works, but the screen is fried; it comes on but it's too dark to make anything out. We use it hooked up to an external monitor right now. After the incident, we sent it to Small Dog (where we bought it from as a refurb) and they cleaned it up and said the issue was with the video card, I think, but I've lost all those e-mails.... Anyway, it wasn't a motherboard or logic board or whatnot.

Recently I came into possession of another 500MHz iBook that has other issues which make it unsuitable for daily use (it turns off randomly). However, it has a perfectly suitable screen. I'd like to swap it for the bad one, so I have a laptop again instead of a keyboard tethered to a 20 in. display.

If there's anyone there who's done this operation before and can offer me a step-by-step guide, or direct me to one on the web, I'd apprecaite it. I prefer to be e-mailed directly to squirrelhenge AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks,

Eric
Chances are the screen is just fine on your original iBook. Switching it out probably won't make a difference. If Small Dog narrowed it down to the video card, and left it at that, they didn't do a very good job of explaining the issue to you.

For one, saying that it's the video card, and not the logic board, is a bit misleading. The video card on the iBook is built in to the logic board. If you have a bad video card, you have a bad logic board.

The problem you describe sounds like a pretty common one with that model of iBook. The problem is caused by heat building up around the video chip. The heat actually builds up to the point that the chip actually loses contact with the board.

This is a widely known problem. I had it with mine, so have thousands of others, enough that Apple recalled these iBooks.
There is a simple solution, though, that doesn't require completely dismantling your iBook. Here's what you do:

1. Remove the bottom case and the internal shielding from your iBook.
2. Locate the Video ship on the logic board.
3. Notice where the chip will rest on the case when it's assembled. You need to glue a shim on the case (most people will fold a piece of paper a few times). This shim will push the chip back into place, when the computer heats up, renewing the its contact with the logic board.

It's a pretty easy fix. It worked for mine and is a pretty widely accepted solution to the iBook video problem. I actually found this fix on the Apple forums when I had the problem.

If you don't like this solution, though, swapping out the logic board with a known good one will also do the trick. But, honestly, having done a pile of logic board swaps on these iBooks, I can tell you the shim solution is a heck of a lot easier. To replace the logic board you basically need to dismantle the entire computer.
mick4394 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:31 PM   #7
Better2bRed
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Peterborough, nr London
My iBook G3 has had continuous problems with something that sound familiar. Apple replaced the mother board (so they say) five or six times over the past 4 years under an extended scheme. I believe that scheme is now over and my iBook has gone again. Can anyone help!
Better2bRed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:59 PM   #8
mick4394
macrumors 6502a
 
mick4394's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Flyover country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better2bRed View Post
My iBook G3 has had continuous problems with something that sound familiar. Apple replaced the mother board (so they say) five or six times over the past 4 years under an extended scheme. I believe that scheme is now over and my iBook has gone again. Can anyone help!
Did you bother reading the post directly above your's?
mick4394 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 04:28 PM   #9
techound1
macrumors 68000
 
techound1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick4394 View Post
Did you bother reading the post directly above your's?
Ah, but the wedge does not work for everyone and it seems to be a long-term solution for few.

I, too had this issue and stumbled upon someone who resolders the video/logic board connection. Mine's run like a dream since. The cost: $75.

LMK by PM if you'd like his contact info.
techound1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:44 PM   #10
A Robot
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
OK this is dumb. If it works on an external monitor, it's not the video card. If you can faintly see the image on the screen but it's just not lit, it's still not the video card. It's the screen... the backlight is cooked. Replacing the screen may just do the trick, or at least give you an idea if it really is the loose connection or not. Fixing a laptop isn't too bad as long as you go slow, don't force anything, and keep track of what plugs in where. take digicam pics of the dissection to help you put it back together.
A Robot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:57 PM   #11
mick4394
macrumors 6502a
 
mick4394's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Flyover country
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Robot View Post
OK this is dumb. If it works on an external monitor, it's not the video card. If you can faintly see the image on the screen but it's just not lit, it's still not the video card. It's the screen... the backlight is cooked. Replacing the screen may just do the trick, or at least give you an idea if it really is the loose connection or not. Fixing a laptop isn't too bad as long as you go slow, don't force anything, and keep track of what plugs in where. take digicam pics of the dissection to help you put it back together.
Sorry to be so blunt, but you're wrong. What she described a classic G3 iBook logic board failure. Google it, heck go straight to the horses mouth. You can find it front and center on Apple's support site. Here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

This was a widespread problem, large enough to warrant a recall. Many of us have dealt with it, and obviously still are.
mick4394 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:59 PM   #12
imacintel
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Ouch.
imacintel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 07:03 PM   #13
mick4394
macrumors 6502a
 
mick4394's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Flyover country
Quote:
Originally Posted by techound1 View Post
Ah, but the wedge does not work for everyone and it seems to be a long-term solution for few.

I, too had this issue and stumbled upon someone who resolders the video/logic board connection. Mine's run like a dream since. The cost: $75.

LMK by PM if you'd like his contact info.
It may not work for everyone, but it worked here, and has worked for others. It's certainly worth taking the free shot first. It's not like there's a warranty to break at this point.
mick4394 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What should i use to clean my white iBook? 18thTomorrow General Mac Discussion 7 Dec 29, 2004 06:18 PM
White iBook RCA cable output frankinmac Macintosh Computers 3 Jul 9, 2004 01:18 AM
White iBook G3 500 for $500? DavidFDM Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive) 3 Sep 23, 2003 08:59 PM
Im looking for white ibook. BELOW TaiyoT2 Marketplace Archive 1 (Posts count) 6 May 26, 2003 10:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC