Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Hi, I was hoping I could get some advice about traveling with my iBook: I'm Canadian, and will be driving into the US on Thursday, where I'll take a plane within the US. What I want know is, will my 'Book be a problem at an airport, and what should I do with my computer before I go (anything special?).

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
The only issue I could imagine you might encounter is security at the Airport concerning your battery after all the battery issues earlier this year. Even though not all of the iBooks were involved, security doesn't know that. They just know what brands of portables had issues and which ones they have to look out for.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
The only issue I could imagine you might encounter is security at the Airport concerning your battery after all the battery issues earlier this year. Even though not all of the iBooks were involved, security doesn't know that. They just know what brands of portables had issues and which ones they have to look out for.
Oh forgot completely about that, thankx! It's just that I just heard a radio report saying people can have ALL their images searched (I don't have anything bad) but I just thought I should be prepared... Also, can I leave it sleeping when I get to security? I hear they ask to see you turn it on, and apparently sleep is fine.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Oh forgot completely about that, thankx! It's just that I just heard a radio report saying people can have ALL their images searched (I don't have anything bad) but I just thought I should be prepared... Also, can I leave it sleeping when I get to security? I hear they ask to see you turn it on, and apparently sleep is fine.

Yea, that should be fine. They want to make sure that it's a working computer, not something shady. I've never heard that they can search all your images and I highly doubt that they can as it would be pushing the limits here in the US, but you never know in this day and ange.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

Typically, they do not ask you to turn laptops on anymore. Takes too much time and clogs up the line as everyone would be waiting a few minutes to wait for it to boot up. Maybe smaller airports will ask you to turn it on, in which case, sleep would be great.

What the TSA will require you to do is to take the laptop out of the bag and place it in a plastic bin so that it can go through the scanner by itself. No big deal really, just make sure you pack your computer in the bag so that it's easily accessible (i.e. don't put a lot of other crap in the computer bag).

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.