Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nes11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
I just got an old Powerbook G3 (333mhz/128RAM/9GB/CD-Drive) back from a friend. I bought a PB G4 since i gave the G3 away, and now don't really know what i could use my old Powerbook G3 for.
Any advice on what it could be used for? And what OS i should install on it (use it as a OS9 only computer, etc.)?
thanks

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Ah, I love those older Powerbooks. I think you should give it to me!

Or, if you don't want to go that route, you could get a wireless card for it, install Panther, and use it as a daily commuting computer, and leave the G4 at home.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I agree, use the G3 for on the bus, on the tube, on the train, in the cafe, all those 'risky' situations where you're at slightly higher risk than normal of having your laptop damaged by spilled drinks or stolen.

I used to have an old G3 iBook before I gave it to my father, and I loved taking it out on the bus, and other places where I would have never pulled out my G4 15'' PB, wich was worth about 4x the G3.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
I agree, use the G3 for on the bus, on the tube, on the train, in the cafe, all those 'risky' situations where you're at slightly higher risk than normal of having your laptop damaged by spilled drinks or stolen.

Yeah and if someone tries to mug you, you can close it up and whack them on the head with it.

jjmaximum

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Gainesville, FL
If you have kids, give it to them. Whenever I buy a new Mac, I get the new one, give my old on to the wife and hers goes to my oldest kid, and hers goes to my youngest.

In my current upgrade cycle, the youngest has the Pismo so it is slated for retirement when I get a new PB (likely next year).

With that said, I still love the styling of the Pismo case and it works quite well for my 6 year old.

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
If you have kids, give it to them. Whenever I buy a new Mac, I get the new one, give my old on to the wife and hers goes to my oldest kid, and hers goes to my youngest.

In my current upgrade cycle, the youngest has the Pismo so it is slated for retirement when I get a new PB (likely next year).

With that said, I still love the styling of the Pismo case and it works quite well for my 6 year old.
yeah i love my pismo :)...kinda funny ur 6 year old is using a pismo? what does she do with it exactly?

gigiuk

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2006
Powerbook G3

I use my pismo to play iTunes, it's connected to my stereo and a 80GB hard drive with all my music. It's very good at that ;) Occasionally also to browse the net etc. I once used it as a back up system for a week when I sent my PB G4 to Apple for a display replacement (white spots). No problems whatsoever.

Battery's dead but the pismo no longer needs moving.

Still very useful after 6.5 years.

dbater

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2006
Victoria, Canada
I just got an old Powerbook G3 (333mhz/128RAM/9GB/CD-Drive) back from a friend. I bought a PB G4 since i gave the G3 away, and now don't really know what i could use my old Powerbook G3 for.
Any advice on what it could be used for? And what OS i should install on it (use it as a OS9 only computer, etc.)?
thanks

Give it to a charity and get a tax receipt... or use it as a door stop!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.