Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:46 AM   #1
hubristol
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to hubristol
Choppy Quicktime Videos

Hey guys,

it seems that every mac I've ever owned has had problems with playing quicktime video files. For the most part they run smoothly on both of my setups (in my sig), but every 10 - 15 seconds, it'll freeze and I'll have to pause and then play again to get it running smoothly. I know that I need more RAM, but I'm doubtful of that being entirely to blame.

For example, I was using an iMac G4 with 1.25Ghz and 512MB RAM yesterday in my computer lab and all the videos I played on it ran smoothly. Even when i run it on computers slower than that, the videos don't encounter choppyness in any degree. And then I get home and try these same videos on my own set up and the choppyness occurs. Even when I'm running the most minimal amount of applications and check the activity monster to confirm that I'm not taxing the computer whatsoever, this occurs. Is it most likely a problem with my settings or something? The apps I typically have open are a web browser (currently using Omniweb), iTunes, Quicksilver, and Mail. Thanks.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help