Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hubristol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Hey guys,

it seems that every mac I've ever owned has had problems with playing quicktime video files. For the most part they run smoothly on both of my setups (in my sig), but every 10 - 15 seconds, it'll freeze and I'll have to pause and then play again to get it running smoothly. I know that I need more RAM, but I'm doubtful of that being entirely to blame.

For example, I was using an iMac G4 with 1.25Ghz and 512MB RAM yesterday in my computer lab and all the videos I played on it ran smoothly. Even when i run it on computers slower than that, the videos don't encounter choppyness in any degree. And then I get home and try these same videos on my own set up and the choppyness occurs. Even when I'm running the most minimal amount of applications and check the activity monster to confirm that I'm not taxing the computer whatsoever, this occurs. Is it most likely a problem with my settings or something? The apps I typically have open are a web browser (currently using Omniweb), iTunes, Quicksilver, and Mail. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.