Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 22, 2003, 12:39 PM   #1
aaaeth
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Safari - sort bookmarks

I would like to sort my bookmarks. I mut be blind since I cannot find or see anything on how to it.

I need your help.

Thank you.
aaaeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 06:32 PM   #2
aethier
macrumors 6502a
 
aethier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montréal, Canada
kind sir,
in you bookmark bar, at your far left, there is a picture of a little book. click on it, and you will have be able to configure just as in itunes, given it is the same UI

for more detail, "To add a bookmark to the Bookmarks menu, open the webpage and click the Add Bookmark button in the address bar. Type a name for the bookmark and choose Bookmarks Menu from the pop-up menu.

To organize the bookmarks in the menu, choose Show All Bookmarks from the Bookmarks menu, then click Bookmarks Menu. Drag items up or down to arrange them. Select an item and press Delete to remove it.

If you add a folder of bookmarks to the menu, it appears as a submenu in the menu. To create a folder, click the Add (+) button at the bottom of the Bookmark column then drag bookmarks into the folder.
To change the name of a bookmark or folder, select it and press Return."

aethier

Last edited by aethier; Apr 23, 2003 at 06:36 PM.
aethier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 06:37 PM   #3
aaaeth
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Dear Sir,

I think you should try it out and see your way does not work. Maybe before posting you should try the simple things first.... I did.... and it does not work.....

Please post solutions that you know will work...

I am sorry for my attitude but I think people should know what they are talking about.

Thanks anyway....
aaaeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 06:38 PM   #4
aethier
macrumors 6502a
 
aethier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montréal, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by aaaeth
Dear Sir,

I think you should try it out and see your way does not work. Maybe before posting you should try the simple things first.... I did.... and it does not work.....

Please post solutions that you know will work...

I am sorry for my attitude but I think people should know what they are talking about.

Thanks anyway....
sorry then, but i could not help you

aethier

Last edited by aethier; Apr 23, 2003 at 06:43 PM.
aethier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 06:49 PM   #5
aaaeth
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Ok then, thanks!!!

I wrote to Apple and suggested they add the feture to Safari. Hopefully, they will respond and I will let know the outcome.
aaaeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2003, 07:01 PM   #6
RBMaraman
macrumors 65816
 
RBMaraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Prospect, KY
To sort your bookmarks in Safari:

1. Click the book icon in the Bookmarks Bar.
2. Click on either Bookmarks Bar or Bookmarks Menu (Depending on which set of bookmarks you want to sort).
3. In the pane panel with the bookmarks, select a bookmark.
4. Click the + button located below the panel pane containing your bookmarks (The panel on the RIGHT).
5. Amazingly, a new folder will appear in your bookmarks list!

Don't say this won't work, because it does. I have my bookmarks organized in folders and I followed the exact steps. If you don't believe me, I can post a screen shot.

Last edited by RBMaraman; Apr 23, 2003 at 07:04 PM.
RBMaraman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 02:16 PM   #7
aaaeth
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
How can you sort within the folder?
aaaeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2003, 02:41 PM   #8
Ambrose Chapel
macrumors 65816
 
Ambrose Chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
How can you sort within the folder?
just click and drag on the link and put it anywhere within the folder.

i did it this morning, so i know it works
Ambrose Chapel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 10:20 AM   #9
aaaeth
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Under IE you can sort by pressing a sort button and it sorts the whole file. I do not want to sort manually.
aaaeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 10:35 AM   #10
Wes
macrumors 68020
 
Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London
Send a message via ICQ to Wes Send a message via AIM to Wes Send a message via MSN to Wes Send a message via Yahoo to Wes
Quote:
Originally posted by aaaeth
Under IE you can sort by pressing a sort button and it sorts the whole file. I do not want to sort manually.
Do you mean alphabetise, how can IE automatically know how you want it to sort? ESP?
Wes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 06:41 PM   #11
aaaeth
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Wes
Do you mean alphabetise, how can IE automatically know how you want it to sort? ESP?
It does not ALPHABETISE automatically. You press the SORT button, then it ALPHABETISE's.

So can you tell me how to alphabetise when we aks to do it.

Thanks.
aaaeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 08:46 PM   #12
RBMaraman
macrumors 65816
 
RBMaraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Prospect, KY
Since your bookmarks are already alphabetized in IE, you could simply open up IE at the same time as Safari, and drag Safari's bookmarks into the same order as the one's in IE.

It amazes me that people make it out like they are too lazy to click and drag. It'll take a maximum of two minutes.
RBMaraman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 07:39 AM   #13
aaaeth
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Thed question was not how much time it takes. The question was are we able to do it the same way as with IE. I guess the final answer is no.
That is all I wanted to know.
Thanks.
aaaeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 08:04 AM   #14
cionheart
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Send a message via AIM to cionheart
I've got another Safari question. Everytime I change the start page in the configuration box, Safari forgets it. When I reopen the program this useless Apple/Netscape thing is back. Does anybody know if this is a bug or am I simply doing something wrong?
cionheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 08:28 AM   #15
irmongoose
macrumors 68030
 
irmongoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
Quote:
Originally posted by cionheart
I've got another Safari question. Everytime I change the start page in the configuration box, Safari forgets it. When I reopen the program this useless Apple/Netscape thing is back. Does anybody know if this is a bug or am I simply doing something wrong?
Try changing the home page in System Preferences>Internet>Web



irmongoose
__________________
A Film and Artwork Portfolio and Re: Gruber
irmongoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 12:15 PM   #16
cionheart
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Send a message via AIM to cionheart
Quote:
Originally posted by irmongoose
Try changing the home page in System Preferences>Internet>Web



irmongoose
It works! Thank you *very* much!!!

-- cionheart
cionheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 03:10 PM   #17
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMaraman View Post
Since your bookmarks are already alphabetized in IE, you could simply open up IE at the same time as Safari, and drag Safari's bookmarks into the same order as the one's in IE.

It amazes me that people make it out like they are too lazy to click and drag. It'll take a maximum of two minutes.
I'm trying out Safari after years of using Firefox. The ability to sort bookmarks becomes more of a time issue if you have hundreds of them, in folders, sub-folders, etc. I don't know about IE (haven't used it in years) but Firefox has the ability to right-click on a folder and sort the contents alphabetically. The idea of using computers is to save time, not waste it by dragging individual bookmarks around to manually sort. The lack of this ability in Safari is a significant oversight. It's a very basic function that should not have been omitted.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 05:16 PM   #18
IIe
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Detroit, MI
Send a message via AIM to IIe Send a message via MSN to IIe Send a message via Yahoo to IIe
An easy way to alphabetize your bookmarks (or "sort by name" if you've been corrupted by MS) is as follows:

1. Create a new desktop folder
2. Open Safari, click on "bookmarks", then "show all"
3. Select multiple bookmarks. You can do this by selecting the first bookmark, hold shift and then selecting the last bookmark, or to select all entries at once, hit "command" & "A."
4. With the bookmarks highlighted, copy all by hitting "command" & "c".
5. Open the desktop folder created in step 1 and paste all entries into said folder. Here you can "control click," or "right click" if you've been corrupted by MS, and sort by name.
6. Go back to safari's bookmarks, show all, and delete all unsorted bookmarks. They should still be highlighted from step 4.
7. Grab the freshly sorted bookmarks from your desktop folder, select all and drag them into your bookmarks menu.
8. If you can't do that, sell your mac and buy a ****** dell.
IIe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 03:59 PM   #19
sjcabc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIe View Post
An easy way to alphabetize your bookmarks (or "sort by name" if you've been corrupted by MS) is as follows:

1. Create a new desktop folder
2. Open Safari, click on "bookmarks", then "show all"
3. Select multiple bookmarks. You can do this by selecting the first bookmark, hold shift and then selecting the last bookmark, or to select all entries at once, hit "command" & "A."
4. With the bookmarks highlighted, copy all by hitting "command" & "c".
5. Open the desktop folder created in step 1 and paste all entries into said folder. Here you can "control click," or "right click" if you've been corrupted by MS, and sort by name.
6. Go back to safari's bookmarks, show all, and delete all unsorted bookmarks. They should still be highlighted from step 4.
7. Grab the freshly sorted bookmarks from your desktop folder, select all and drag them into your bookmarks menu.
8. If you can't do that, sell your mac and buy a ****** dell.
I was looking for an answer to this question and came across your answer and I had to join this forum just so I could post a reply to you. First, you are an arrogant ass. Second, let me say that people were asking to do this in one step not seven. Third, can you come to my house and do the sorting for me... I have a DEll!
sjcabc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 05:31 AM   #20
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bookdog/

Bookdog (shareware) does a nice job sorting Safari bookmarks.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:48 PM   #21
jmdilley
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
For people who have dozens of bookmarks in multiple folders, sorting them manually may be possible, but isn't ideal.

I started using Saft ($ plugin) and it adds a new contextual menu item in each bookmark folder 'Sort Bookmarks'. I've found it to be very helpful. The only thing I miss from the Windows world is that when it sorts them, it doesn't group folders together. I prefer to have all folders grouped and alphabetized at the top and all bookmarks grouped and alphabetized below that.

Saft also adds additional features which I've found helpful.
__________________
Mac Pro, 8 core
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
MacBook Santa Rosa
iMac G5
iPhone 8GB
jmdilley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:54 PM   #22
jamesdmc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cittagazze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bookdog/

Bookdog (shareware) does a nice job sorting Safari bookmarks.
Agreed. I've been a mac user since Christmas 2007 and I was shocked to find out that "the world's best browser" couldn't do this simple thing. I took for granted that every browser out there had a sort button for bookmarks. Wrong.

Once they're sorted, it's trivial to manually sort them as you add them one by one. But that first time; that first import on your first mac; with hundreds of bookmarks...it had me scrambling to find solution. Bookdog was that solution.


James
__________________
There was a strange sound, like the murmur and crackle you hear before you realize that what you're hearing is your house on fire. -Philip Pullman, His Dark Materials: The Amber Spyglass
jamesdmc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:03 PM   #23
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdilley View Post
For people who have dozens of bookmarks in multiple folders, sorting them manually may be possible, but isn't ideal.

I started using Saft ($ plugin) and it adds a new contextual menu item in each bookmark folder 'Sort Bookmarks'. I've found it to be very helpful. The only thing I miss from the Windows world is that when it sorts them, it doesn't group folders together. I prefer to have all folders grouped and alphabetized at the top and all bookmarks grouped and alphabetized below that.

Saft also adds additional features which I've found helpful.
A work-around for the folders is to put a space at the beginning of each folder name. That way, when you sort, all the folders will alphabetically sort to the top.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:41 PM   #24
StudioGuy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
My Safari 4 problem, now fixed

I was having similar problems with sorting. Even the simple drag & drop outlined above would not stick. Open Safari, and nothing would change. I even tried deleting them. They go "poof", restart Safari & their still there.

Finally figured out my problem, which may help others. Even after repairing permissions, there was still a problem with the permissions on the Bookmarks.plist file in the ~/Library/Safari directory.

Doing a GetInfo revealed some "custom" permissions set for "Everyone", even though mine "me" was set as Read & Write. I changed the Everyone to Read & Write, and after restarting Safari all was back as it should be! I could change them, sort them (manually), delete them, etc. And restarting Safari kept them as modified. Interestingly enough, the Bookmarks.plist file then just showed everyone back to Read only, and just me as Read & Write, like it repaired itself.

HTH!
StudioGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 03:56 AM   #25
Franciturci
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Just to sort alphabetically your Safari bookmarks use the command line utility Sortosaurus:

http://homepage.mac.com/jameshoward/

It worked for me (Safari 4.0.3 on Snow Leopard).

I find it's much better than any $ solution (why should we pay for sorting bookmarks?).
Franciturci is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do i get my safari bookmarks on the iphone 4 to sync with my macbook pro safari Dragoro iPhone 8 Oct 8, 2014 02:36 AM
How to sort Safari bookmarks alphabetically? Harp77 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 4 May 5, 2014 09:28 AM
Safari bookmarks tab annoying, why doesn't a click on the webpage close the bookmarks bobright OS X Mavericks (10.9) 1 Oct 25, 2013 04:19 PM
How to: Sort Bookmarks Alphabetically in Safari. justperry Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 May 30, 2013 02:22 AM
Can't reorder bookmarks in Safari Bookmarks bar and iCloud syncing problem EthanMiller Mac Basics and Help 2 Dec 29, 2012 02:44 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC