Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
just a question:

do you think it's ok to split the output of my guitar and run it through both the Normal channel and the Vibrato channel at the same time? Is there any reason why I shouldn't?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i reckon if it were a good idea, guitarists everywhere would be doing it.

the technical, electrical issue is that with such a low output from the pickups, the amp has to draw upon its power to, well, amplify it. by using both channels (and i believe you'll also change the impedance which each amp input sees), you're just increasing the power demands from the amp.

do you know the 4 ohm and 8 ohm power output ratings for the amp?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
i reckon if it were a good idea, guitarists everywhere would be doing it.

the technical, electrical issue is that with such a low output from the pickups, the amp has to draw upon its power to, well, amplify it. by using both channels (and i believe you'll also change the impedance which each amp input sees), you're just increasing the power demands from the amp.

do you know the 4 ohm and 8 ohm power output ratings for the amp?

100 Watts RMS @ 4ohms

8ohms, I dunno. I know the later models are switchable between 4, 8, and 16ohms, but this one isn't (it's a '74)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
(it's a '74)
nice.

i ask about both wattages because that's an indicator of how much the amp can give when really driven. for example, if it could do 200 watts @ 8 ohms, that's a good sign. but if it does, say, only 150, then you can assume you may run into trouble.

i want to clarify something i said above: the amp most likely can handle 2 guitars running into the two inputs, separately. in this case, each input is seeing the load it expects. but with that y-cord, i think it'll mess up the load and i think that's where you'd drive the amp harder than you would with 2 guitars.

but i'm a bit fuzzy on the electrical stuff, so i'd wait for someone who does know to weigh in before you go off trying it (and possibly damaging your amp in the process).

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
ok. If there's any risk of damaging the amp, then I'm not going to do it. I was just kind of wondering. I have a friend who would run two Fender Twins bridged together, one completely clean and the other distorted. Sounded great, too :)

thanks Zim, you're the man :)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
If there's any risk of damaging the amp, then I'm not going to do it.
that's just my understanding of it, i may be (way) off base.

i know there are some guitarists around here, i'd like to hear what they have to say about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.