Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I have a Windows XP Network at home and just bought my first Mac. I plan with time to switch most if not all of the computers to Mac. I store a lot of my data on the main computer so frequently have to access these files.
On Windows XP I map these drives but I can't find out how to do this on OS X. I know I can find the network and log onto these folders but as soon as I restart the computer they are gone. Is there any way to keep this from happening?

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
if you want to log onto them automatically then (1) make sure you check the box to remember the password when you log on (so that it stores your login info in your Keychain) and (2) drag the mounted volume into System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items

If you just want a bookmark for it (ie there are times when the volume will be unavailable at boot and so an auto connection would be less desirable), still do (1) above but for (2) drag the mounted volume icon into the dock (on the other side of the little black line from the apps, next to the trash) and then just click it to mount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.