Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiscokid

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Ok so I have just tried switching from Windows to a mac with my ipod. XP to Safari.

I followed this guide religiously and all files were switched over to the mac and are sitting in my music library when viewed in finder.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173#next

However when I start up itunes on the mac - the files are not in the music library?!?

I was hoping that 2 years of playcount info and ratings would transfer seamlessly. Can anyone help - thanks.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
If you go to the Music folder do you see the iTunes folder in there? If you browse that folder, do you see all your music? Is the location for your music set correctly in the iTunes preferences -> Advanced tab?

Kiscokid

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
all files are now in itunes but no playcount :(

Also do you know if I will I have to re-format the ipod?

Thanks

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
The iPod should work fine without reformatting, but you may have to reformat if you want to install any upcoming iPod updates. I'm not 100% sure on this, though.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
The iPod should work fine without reformatting, but you may have to reformat if you want to install any upcoming iPod updates. I'm not 100% sure on this, though.

That's exactly right, unless you install the updates on a PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.