Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Nov 12, 2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Chaos215bar2
macrumors member

iPod Shuffle (2nd Gen.) stops charging after reboot?

Hello,

I just bought an iPod shuffle, and I noticed that it will stop charging after I reboot my computer, and will not start when I start up. In both cases, I need to remove the shuffle from it's dock and reconnect it for it to begin charging. It will, however, resume charging after stopping when I put my computer to sleep.

Also, once fully charged, if I remove the shuffle from the dock for a moment and put it back, it then proceeds to show the orange charging light for several more hours, even though it was fully charged.

Oh, one last thing... The shuffle took nearly 20 hours first charge to turn green, and somewhere between 5 and 8 the second charge.

I just wanted to know if this was unusual or normal before checking with my local Apple store.
Chaos215bar2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:49 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

You can try calibrating the little guy's battery if you like. Do this by charging it up completely in one hit, unplugging it, using it 'til it's completely flat and then charging it back up to 100% in one hit again. You don't have to do this every time but doing it every now and then (quite rarely actually) will hopefully ensure your computer knows when to stop charging the iPod.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:54 PM   #3
Chaos215bar2
macrumors member

Yes, I have charged it fully twice now, and discharged it in between. I also unplugged it momentarily after the second full charge (light turned green) and it has claimed to still be charging for the past 3.5 hours.

Last edited by Chaos215bar2; Nov 12, 2006 at 11:22 PM.
Chaos215bar2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:16 PM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Okay, so it's not a calibration problem. I'd take it back to Apple since it's so new.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod