Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Hello,

I just bought an iPod shuffle, and I noticed that it will stop charging after I reboot my computer, and will not start when I start up. In both cases, I need to remove the shuffle from it's dock and reconnect it for it to begin charging. It will, however, resume charging after stopping when I put my computer to sleep.

Also, once fully charged, if I remove the shuffle from the dock for a moment and put it back, it then proceeds to show the orange charging light for several more hours, even though it was fully charged.

Oh, one last thing... The shuffle took nearly 20 hours first charge to turn green, and somewhere between 5 and 8 the second charge.

I just wanted to know if this was unusual or normal before checking with my local Apple store.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You can try calibrating the little guy's battery if you like. Do this by charging it up completely in one hit, unplugging it, using it 'til it's completely flat and then charging it back up to 100% in one hit again. You don't have to do this every time but doing it every now and then (quite rarely actually) will hopefully ensure your computer knows when to stop charging the iPod. :)

Chaos215bar2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Yes, I have charged it fully twice now, and discharged it in between. I also unplugged it momentarily after the second full charge (light turned green) and it has claimed to still be charging for the past 3.5 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.