Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrFirework

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Denver, CO
True...

it was released years ago...iPod.

True enough... but do you think Apple might one-up the Zune the day it's released? I know we'd all get a kick out of it, but is it Apple's style to release a product on a rival's big day just because it their rival's big day?

I donno... with all the partnering between M$ and Apple these days, it would strain relations a great deal.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
The current iPod models are already better than Zune, so no need to offer anything else to steal its thunder. If you mean the fabled "true video ipod," I seriously doubt we'll see it tomorrow -- as they wouldn't just place it on the market as a surprise. They'd want to have some sort of big event to announce it, and that's usually tipped off by an invite at least a week prior.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Yeah, Apple wouldn't want to go to the added risk of having their thunder stolen either, thinking about it. No point, we all want to see the Zune fail without having to spend all our cash on a new iPod just yet.

MrFirework

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Denver, CO
Good points...

Good points all around. My logical "Apple" side says there's no way. My wishful "unicorn" side still hopes. ;)

So how about before Thanksgiving... anything?

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
So how about before Thanksgiving... anything?

I think the iPods Apple has now are just fine enough for the holiday season. The new nanos and shuffle alone are going to kill.

Whenever the true video iPod comes out, I'm assuming it's going to be more than just a larger screen. I bet it ends up being something rather revolutionary and mega-cool. This means it might take a little longer for Apple to produce it. But I'm sure it will be worth the wait...

MrFirework

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Denver, CO
Truly

the zune will crash and burn, enough said

They really are, big, ugly and...

... well...

ugly.

But M$ is no doubt willing to lose billions with a capital B to hurt Apple. I wouldn't plan on the Zune going away any time zoon.

... get it? I spelled "soon" "zoon"... it's a joke... get it? Heh... heh-heh... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... nevermind.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
But M$ is no doubt willing to lose billions with a capital B to hurt Apple. I wouldn't plan on the Zune going away any time zoon.

I wouldn't either.
While I think the actual device is going to suck, and it won't make much of a dent in Apple's dominance in this market for some time, I'm starting to believe that Zune buyers will gradually grow over a long period.

It will NOT be because the Zune will become a better device than the iPod, though.
No -- the reason people might buy a Zune will be SOLELY due to the fact that iPods are over-saturated. And there is always that segment of the population who will gravitate towards something -- even if it's an inferior product -- simply because the majority isn't. They hate the fact that everyone owns an iPod, and they will choose a Zune simply to "be different." Or at least fool themselves into thinking they're different.

I know... it's a silly reason to choose a Zune. But it's the ONLY thing that might keep the Zune around and not die a quick death. (I can't tell you how many people I know who listen to REALLY crappy unknown bands with zero musical talent, and the only reason they give for being fans is that "no one else is listening to them.")

But to go back on-topic again, I think Apple feels no need to rush out a 6gen iPod -- just like they feel no need to rush out Leopard to steal Vista's thunder. Their main concern is putting out a quality product, not rushing to compete with products they know will be inferior.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Or another possiblility some Windows users hate Apple so much they will buy a Zune out of hate of Apple. And they just can't admit that Apple does it right!

ClassicFitness

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Or another possiblility some Windows users hate Apple so much they will buy a Zune out of hate of Apple. And they just can't admit that Apple does it right!

This is sad, but true!! Sometimes people can't see evolution and quality in a product...even if it's out for five years. And btw, M$ is 5 years late with that zoune (genitals;) ).

cecildk9999

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
East Coast
... get it? I spelled "soon" "zoon"... it's a joke... get it? Heh... heh-heh... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... nevermind.

I was in just the right mood to get a laugh out of that one; thanks for the humor :p

But seriously, the Zune could have a real niche market in replacing the brick as a through the window death threat (coupled with an eerie or ominous song). Or building a new brick house. I'm surprised they haven't paired up with Lego or Duplo for marketing yet. You wait: it'll be in the cards.

MrFirework

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Denver, CO
Might be scary...

This is sad, but true!! Sometimes people can't see evolution and quality in a product...even if it's out for five years. And btw, M$ is 5 years late with that zoune (genitals;) ).

All of this Zoon nonsense might be scary if Apple was going to stop with their current gen. However... given that M$ is coming to market now with something pretty darned comperable to the 5.5g (with the addition of wireless) and Apple is 85% done with the next gen, I ain't scurred. :cool:

jTreu

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
i think they might just to get some sales from MS through the holiday season, if they do it will probably be $450 model with widescreen or something special.

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
I was in just the right mood to get a laugh out of that one; thanks for the humor :p

But seriously, the Zune could have a real niche market in replacing the brick as a through the window death threat (coupled with an eerie or ominous song). Or building a new brick house. I'm surprised they haven't paired up with Lego or Duplo for marketing yet. You wait: it'll be in the cards.
next month they will rename it the "music brick" or something stupid like that

MrFirework

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Denver, CO
Speaking of...

Brown iPods tomorrow it is then...

:)

How completely, utterly perfectly M$ is it to introduce a brown "iPod Killer"?

Only an evil monopoly company could really believe this is the best course of action.

"We need to distinguish ourselves from the Apple crowd... and we don't wanna look like we're copying them. So get a screen above, and a wheel below, because that worked real well for the iPod. Next make the whole thing enormous and brown. That should throw the consumers off our path. Can we make it smell like Stawberry Shortcake? Bob? Hey Bob...? Can we make it smell like Strawberry Shortcake? No? No-go? Okay, that'll be version 2.0. We've got a winner here guys!"

:D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.