Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should there be an easier way to use the Shuffle as a USB Storage device?

• Yes: With an optional accessory

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Yes: With a free/included accessory

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Yes: It should be built in like the 1G Shuffle

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No: There is no reason for more convienent storage; it's fine as is

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I'm indifferent...it doesn't matter to me, regardless of whether I own one or not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
A lot of people have been complaining about the fact that the new shuffle can only be used as a storage device when you carry around the dock. The lack of convienence to this is obviously not desirable.

I think people should discuss why this is a problem and/or possible solutions. If I were to use the shuffle some day (I have a nano, and that's plenty...) it would be to replace my aging USB drive. But, right now, the cost of a USB Flash drive at 1GB is about $40 now a days, no? If the price/storage ever becomes more comporable, then I'd get a shuffle for storage.

So here's what I propose, and now I recall that I've seen something similar on the web before...but this is still something I was just thinking about on my own: have a tiny usb connector attach to the new media stick or whatever that allows for sync/power/music or whatever and charge it for $19 or so...or maybe even include it in place of the dock.

Apple could really brand it as a USB storage device if it ever comes closer in price and storage to a USB flash drive...including this would-be accessory. I think that'd be a huge selling point for the many that do not know you can use iPods conveinently as storage devices.

Now I'm not complaining...Heck, I don't even own a shuffle! I have an iPod Nano I got for free with my computer. I'm just discussing the topic because of this sort of significant change in usability of one of the features and the clear amount of discussion on the subject. It seems as if it's the biggest discussion.

Thoughts?

-=|Mgkwho

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
it's a music player... they sell it as a music player.

The only reason you're even thinking about this is because the 1G shuffle had a usb connector attached. I'd take the trade-off of the usb connector for the 2G's design any day of the week, and twice on sundays.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
The only reason you're even thinking about this is because the 1G shuffle had a usb connector attached.

Well of course: that's the whole point of me writing this thread. Notice the poll option, "It should be built in like the 1G Shuffle? You're a regular Sherlock.

To be honest, I wish the shuffle didn't have anything sticking out. That's why it'd be an accessory our built in (inside). Maybe it pops out or something. I dunno. Just opening the forum for discussion.

-=|Mgkwho

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep...

it's a music player... they sell it as a music player.

The only reason you're even thinking about this is because the 1G shuffle had a usb connector attached. I'd take the trade-off of the usb connector for the 2G's design any day of the week, and twice on sundays.

I agree.

Do people REALLY think that bitching toward Apple is going to make them rethink their design? USB sticks are cheap nowadays, either buy a new one or keep the 1G shuffle...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.