Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Romulus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Please, state

1) your configuration
2) initial performance impressions
3) native program speed and Rosetta speed
4) cpu temperature if you know it, otherway give us an idea compared to your previous computer
5) fan and noise problems
6) case design problems
7) other thoughts

Romulus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
My impressions so far:

1) your configuration
MB C2D White 2Ghz, 2Gb Ram, 80Gb HD

2) initial performance impressions
Reasonably fast, things run smooth, very stable when coming from a windows environment. The software packages included are awsome. The additional software available is so much nicer compared to my experience on Windows. For example, I got Delicious Library yesterday, and was amazed - within minutes I was able to scan, yes scan the barcodes using the camera into the program while it automatically connected to amazon and downloaded all the dvd information... Amazed

3) native program speed and Rosetta speed

Rosetta still slow - running word and trying to scroll through a 30 page document with 1 figure and 150 references (made with Endnote) - it would stop for a second after every second page... Photoshop on the other side runs just fine for what I need it... This was tested with 1Gb ram though, so maybe with more RAM right now I could do better...

4) cpu temperature if you know it, otherway give us an idea compared to your previous computer
Used to be hotter initially... Now with Fan Control on and 2Gb RAM, start iddle temperature is at 41, with couple programs running it goes to 48-53C, under some load it goes to 60... It goes to 60 even if minimum load bur running it for more than an hour. My maximum temperature was at around 75C under full processor load.

5) fan and noise problems
With fan control I have the fans running most of the time, which gives me a buffer so the processor gets hot a little bit later in the game. I have the fan control though set much lower compared to other people around here. I'm at 2200, which is higher than the apple setting, and lower than the 3000 that some people preset.

6) case design problems
Case is very good... Smudgy but easy to clean... Slight creaking and separation on the left side where the ports are...

7) other thoughts
The superdrive is extraordinarily loud when reading CDs... I have never heard any drive so loud and am afraid the computer is like gonna break or something... Vibration and stuff... It's fine when reading DVDs to play a movie... Is this normal?

clicq

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
1) Configuration: MB C2D White 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD, superdrive
2) Performance: OS feels really snappy and I could play a 1080p trailer with a max of 70% cpu utilization, average about 50% (from my rough guess).
3) Native program speed: very fast, haven't tried any rosetta programs yet
4) cpu temp: i've maxed it out at 83C before the fans kicked in at high RPM to bring it down. Normally idles around 52C or so when just surfing the web. Playing the 1080p trailer several times maxed the temperature at about 72C.
5) fan/noise: fans are inaudible up to the low 2000rpm, very quiet up until about 3000rpm, noticeable around 4000rpm, and loud at maximum (~6200rpm). Up to about 3500rpm, I can't hear the fan about the desktop PCs in my office. Even at 6200rpm, while I can hear it, it doesn't sound too obtrusive -- the projector I use for presentations would drown it out. It sounds similar to a CD drive spinning. Bottom of laptop only gets warm.
6) Case design problems: none so far
7) Other thoughts: My backlight is a bit uneven in the lower right corner of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.