Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:15 PM   #1
JohnBreisch
macrumors newbie

Freehand or Photoshop for this design?

Im hoping this isnt too hard to understand what I am trying to get across.
I would like to create some icons for a design I am doing.
I want to take an object and turn it gray. I want to be able to make out whhat the object is also. Apple had some stuff like this on their website with a picture of the macbook and ipod grayed out. its probably real easy, Im just trying to figure out the best way. Thanks
JohnBreisch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:22 PM   #2
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Are you looking to make the objects dimmed, or silhouettes, or something else? Is the original stuff photos or drawings?
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:33 PM   #3
JohnBreisch
macrumors newbie

they are actual graphics different websites. I want to turn those graphics greay so I can just see the outlines. I dont want any detail in them.
Like, I can take a graphic of a powerbook and use my line tool and then turn it gray but I want an easier way than drawing the graphic out.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:34 PM   #4
JohnBreisch
macrumors newbie

maybe silhouettes, but grey. Can you do a graphic of an ipod a silhouettes and show me?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:48 AM   #5
dogbone
Banned

It sounds like you are looking for an easier way but the best way to do what you want is to draw the outline with the pen tool so you have it as an editable object then use that to make a selection and fill with gray.
dogbone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:40 AM   #6
Nym
macrumors 6502a

If it's just silhouettes you want you should use a Vector editing program, although Photoshop can use "Path's" it's mainly a pixel editing software, not as complete as Illustrator or Freehand MX in the way it deals with vectors.

I would definitely use Illustrator
Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:48 AM   #7
Mookamoo
macrumors member

You need to use Illustrator or Fireworks.

Freehand is ultimately just a publishing programme and using Photoshop for paths is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 02:42 PM   #8
JohnBreisch
macrumors newbie

here is an example of what I want to do. I want to make any graphic this line art but filled in.
Attached Images

Old Nov 15, 2006, 03:01 PM   #9
dnadna
macrumors newbie

illustrator all the way.
dnadna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 03:44 PM   #10
JohnBreisch
macrumors newbie

is there a keystroke tho that I can use to import a picture and turn it to line art?
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:08 AM   #11
Nym
macrumors 6502a

In illustrator, create a new document, go to File -> Place, then select the picture that you want to convert to line art and open it.
After that it's how you want it, you can either select the pen tool and vectorize it by hand (which I advise) or select the picture and in the tools options palette (on the top, below the menu bar) click on "Live Paint" and from the drop down arrow menu select the preset that achieves the result you want. Anyway, If it's a simple object like an iPod, I'd recommend you to use the circle, round square and pen tools, it's very easy to do once you get the hang of it

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics