Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
My Dodge Caravan SE from 1993 will not start all the way up.

The engine rotates, but it doesnt actually start up or kick over. When you crank it, sometimes it will crank kinda slow.

I'm not very good at cars, and I cant afford to take it to a mechanic, so does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I have the repair manual for it, and am quite good with my hands (I have done some work like replacing parts and such on it)

Please help. o.o' Its getting really inconvienent.

ozontheroad

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
the reef
My Dodge Caravan SE from 1993 will not start all the way up.

The engine rotates, but it doesnt actually start up or kick over. When you crank it, sometimes it will crank kinda slow.

I'm not very good at cars, and I cant afford to take it to a mechanic, so does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I have the repair manual for it, and am quite good with my hands (I have done some work like replacing parts and such on it)

Please help. o.o' Its getting really inconvienent.

it could be that your battery is losing its charge

"sometimes it will crank kinda slow" this is why i think that the battery might be the culprit.

PS. I'm no mechanic so I could be wrong :D

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar

Check ignition.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
it could be that your battery is losing its charge

"sometimes it will crank kinda slow" this is why i think that the battery might be the culprit.

PS. I'm no mechanic so I could be wrong :D

yea...prolly the battery. What you'll want to do is jump it and let it charge for a bit.

take it over to your local Advance Auto Parts (I think AutoZone can help too) and tell them you want the battery and the alternator checked. No dis-assembly required, and they'll do it for free.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
ah...with respect, I'd have to disagree with it being the starter, at least in the way the problem has been described. If the engine cranks, then the starter's ok. If the engine doesn't crank at all or only cranks intermittently, then the starter might be (likely is) the cause.

climhazzard85

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2005
I really doubt that he's not getting fuel, that wouldn't make the engine crank slowly, it just would not fire. Try jumping the battery.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I recently replaced the pump, but theres no leaks.

Kinda hard to take it to the auto parts store... as it wont move. :mad:

I tested the ignition cap and rotor, and they're working fine (Got a nice buzz too)

I'm suspecting the battery too. >> <<

F***ing Walmart batteries.

The fuel pump I'd like to be the absolute last thing on the planet to try. As the damned thing costs 175, then about 300 dollars in labor to have it installed. <<'' My familys not exactly going to be hitting the lottery any time soon.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I'm suspecting the battery too. >> <<

F***ing Walmart batteries.
Don't suppose you're in luck with any warranty still on the battery? Are the cells dry? If so and you haven't tried it, you might refill and have someone jumpstart and see if it'll hold a charge.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Don't suppose you're in luck with any warranty still on the battery? Are the cells dry? If so and you haven't tried it, you might refill and have someone jumpstart and see if it'll hold a charge.

Still under warranty.

I swear to the guy upstairs, Walmart batteries can suck my butt.

This will be the 3rd replacement in less than two years.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
One good check to see if it's the battery are your headlights. Are they at normal intensity, or dimmed? Do they dim real bad when you try to start it? If either of these two, then the battery may need a charge. Get a cheap charger - Walmart again! :eek:

If that cures the problem, charging it, then you either have a bad battery, or as someone above mentioned, the alternator is not charging it and that's your bad part.

My best guess and my nickel's worth of advice.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Still under warranty.

I swear to the guy upstairs, Walmart batteries can suck my butt.

This will be the 3rd replacement in less than two years.
Maybe that will teach you not to buy a car battery from Walmart, go to Sears and get a DieHard. They will also prorate the battery.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
New battery installed, cranks much, much faster, but still wont kick over.

Post some more suggestions and I'll look at it tomorrow morning.

I really appericate all your help. :)

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004

What kind of sound does it make (if any)? Have you any reason to suspect the Starter? Fuel line/vapor lock? It does have gas in it, right? Change in temp/humidity recently? Does pumping the gas pedal prior to start do anything? Any leakage on the floor/under car? Were there any warning lights on the last time it was running?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005

sounds like it's not getting any (or enough) gas. When's the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

question: from an electrical point of view, everything else is in working order, right? All fuses intact?

anyway, if it's not the filter and assuming it's a fuel issue, it's likely the pump. You can replace the fuel pump yourself, though it's a big pain in the @ss. One thing you might want to check first is the fuel shutoff switch. It may have accidentally tripped (it happens), so have a look at it and make sure it's ok. The manual will tell you where it is.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
My guess is the starter. My friend's car had the same symptoms and that's what ended up needing to be replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.