Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haute@tiscali.c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
I do not have the original installation discs, but I do have a set of genuine iMac Software Install and Software Restore for iMac DV Models.
The computer is running fine, but I thought it would be useful to know whether these disks would do the job in the event of my having a problem. After loading the Software Install disk and going the iMac install CD folder and selecting Mac OS Install I get a message " Your Mac's firmware is out of date, please update it before continuing"..
Questions:
1. Is there any problem in using his disc with my 8.5 iMac?
2. Where can I download the firmware from?
3.Was the DV an update on OS 8.5?

Many thanks if you could assist.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
haute@tiscali.c said:
1. Is there any problem in using his disc with my 8.5 iMac?
Yes... software installation CDs that came with different versions of the iMac were specifically designed for these particular versions. You can't mix-n-match these disks and hardware.

If you need an OS installer for your iMac, get the generic installation media or the exact restore media for that model.

And knowing exactly what model we are talking about would be helpful. Is it using a tray loading or slot loading CD/DVD? What is the processor speed? Etc.

You'll find most of the specs on the bottom of the system itself (that is where Apple put them on most iMac models).

The thing is, if you are using an iMac that came with 8.5... it wasn't designed for using the media from an iMac DV system (which came with 8.6/9.0 as I recall).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.