Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
Hi! Didn't quite know where to post this thread because my problem is that I don't know what my problem is.

Let me explain:

Yesterday I installed Splinter Cell:Double Agent on my 24" iMac through bootcamp (base model), and the only thing that does not meet the "preferred" (not minimum) game requirements is the 128MB of the GPU, other than that it's all good.
However, the game itself looks like it's all in slow motion, I can't really explain it, the sound is buggy and the graphics look good but the game moves very very slow, not the fps's, the game itself looks like "bullet time" if you know what I mean...

Can somebody tell me what could be the problem? Audio drivers? Video Drivers? I've downloaded nVidia's new drivers and will install tonight, also installed the most recent directX, didn't work :S still buggy.

jsehome

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
You need to disable one of the processors. I found this by reading the threads at http://www.splintercell.com. For some reason the game doesn't like the fact that the iMac is duo core, so you need to disable one.
Here's the quote on how to do this:
This is how you make SCDA run on one processor. When you launch the single player game, quickly press CTRL+ALT+DEL and bring up the task manager. Right click on the Splintercell4.exe file and got to set "afinity". unclick one of the CPU boxes, and voila, you should see a massive improvement. You will need to do this each time you start SCDA

It worked for me. (I had the same problem). I'm using a 20" Core Duo, and I now get around 25 FPS (this is on the demo). The demo has convinced me to buy it. Very cool game.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
DAMN MAN! THANKS A LOT!!! :D eheh, that should probably solve my problem! I had already uninstalled the game and was preparing to sell it :)
But other than that, does the game run well on one processor? like 40-50 fps?

Anyway, you should get a medal for the reply :D

jsehome

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
Glad to help. At the highest resolution settings I get around 20-25 FPS. I know that doesn't sound very good, but it's very playable.

I need to get the game myself. I've only played the demo and love it.

Have you tried overclocking your ATI1600? There is risk involved, but I've gotten a speed increase by overclocking to around 470/470. I'm using the latest Omega drivers. Here's the link to the download:
http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati/win2k_xp.php

You might want to read up on overclocking, first, if you've never done it.

Good luck!

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Prepare for stunning settings on one of Tom Clany's most dissapointing games to date :(

Have to say I played the game and found it such a let down. Even the multiplayer didn't save it for me on this one.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
Really? is the game that bad? (Maybe this should be moved to the Games category)

Humm, I don't have an ATI, I have a 7300 Gt, iMac 24", not 20" :) hoorray for me, ehehe.
However, I don't need MAX settings, medium will do if it's what it takes to run the game fluid :)

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Really? is the game that bad? (Maybe this should be moved to the Games category)

Humm, I don't have an ATI, I have a 7300 Gt, iMac 24", not 20" :) hoorray for me, ehehe.
However, I don't need MAX settings, medium will do if it's what it takes to run the game fluid :)

It's disappointing to him – personally, I loved it. YMMV.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Oh absoloutely - each to their own there :) I mean at least for me I bought it with the hope of a really fulfilling multiplayer but the idea of having just one game mode.

I dunno, just not what I wanted. The single player wasn't bad I guess.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
Oh absoloutely - each to their own there :) I mean at least for me I bought it with the hope of a really fulfilling multiplayer but the idea of having just one game mode.

I dunno, just not what I wanted. The single player wasn't bad I guess.

Sheesh, installed the game again, ran it..., don't like it :) I'm gonna sell it and buy the PS2 version because this version just doesn't feel right, and the fact that it forces me to use only one processor core to work makes the game sluggish. Dunno, I felt the gameplay was pretty "cheap" on the PC so I removed those 8gb the game puts into the HD, eheh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.