Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:53 AM   #1
griflet
macrumors newbie

ipod advice anyone?

my 20gb ipod photo died a week ago been carrying my pbook around - talk about portable music. kept getting the sad smiley face - and i've attempted to put it into disk mode, and charged it for a long long time.

but i brought it to an apple shop and they said the cost of repairing it wouldnt be worth it. the one-year warranty on it just ran out, and it's just over a year old! AND i've had it replaced before for a faulty click wheel...

makes me kind of hesitate before i think about getting a new ipod... 300 bucks and it lasted all of a year?

so, i guess the question is really... is the ipod nano going to be more durable?

thanks in advance...
griflet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:10 AM   #2
Scarlet Fever
macrumors 68040

it sounds like there was an error with the hard drive in your first iPod. The nanos dont have a HDD in them so break down, so i would say they are more durable in that respect. They haven't been out long enough for people to find problems which happen over time, though.

From what i have heard, the nanos are brilliant players. A lot of people here would strongly recommend them
Scarlet Fever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:40 AM   #3
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

My 4G iPod with Click wheel (ie: the last iPod with black and white screen) just died. The HD won't turn back on, so yep......time for a new one!

Since Oz doesn't get the Red iPod Nano (yet), I'm going to get a green one. I loves me the green goodness. I'm just going to wait 4 days so that I can get my GST back in 29 days when I leave this country on vacation.

Get one, I say. I think the HD iPods, and any other HD-based music player that you're going to just throw into a pocket and walk around with, is going to have more problems than an iPod with flash memory.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:02 AM   #4
iSaint
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to iSaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract View Post
My 4G iPod with Click wheel (ie: the last iPod with black and white screen) just died. The HD won't turn back on, so yep......time for a new one!
Mine of the same has clickwheel problems now. It's just over two years old. It's clicking, just not scrolling!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:09 AM   #5
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by griflet View Post
so, i guess the question is really... is the ipod nano going to be more durable?
A flash based player will be more durable than a HD based player.

The new Nanos are much stronger feeling than the 1st Gen models. Really like my new Nano.
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 06:18 PM   #6
carve
macrumors 6502a

shuffle

I think that you should get the shuffle. It's small and portable! that's just my vote though
carve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 06:52 PM   #7
astarling06
macrumors regular

My current iPod (20GB) is one I bought after I got the sad face icon on it. I took it in and they told me that it was dead. I was only 3 days out of the one year warranty. They gave me 10% off on a new one. I know that's not much but it's better than paying the full 300. If you have more than one Apple store near you, go to a different one than the one you went to so it looks like it is the first time you came in with the problem.
astarling06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:14 PM   #8
griflet
macrumors newbie

i'll try bringing it in, but the apple customer service here is not particularly well known for being extra customer-oriented.. doubtful i'll get any discount at all. will give it a go though.

yea the shuffle seems good for price (assuming 1 year lifespan not too optimistic anymore), but the red nano is hot :P

and i had a problem with my clickwheel too. totally un-touch sensitive..

thanks for all the advice
griflet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:30 PM   #9
bigbossbmb
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to bigbossbmb
the 10% off isn't anything special...it is Apple's iPod recycle program. They do that for everyone.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod