Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
So this is interesting...

my iPod wont shut off. I leave it on it's charging dock (connected to the wall) pretty much 24/7 except for when i remove to move it to the computer to sync.

how can i get it to shut down?

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Yea, i know that... i can hold it for as long as i want and it wont shut down

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I know this is obvious and I am not trying to insult you, but be sure the Hold button is not on as that will, as you probably know, disables the buttons on the iPod. If the Hold button is not on, try resetting the iPod by holding down Menu and the Center button for a few seconds.

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
its weird, every thing still functions properly, playback, skip, sound control, everything is fine, it just will not shut down even if i leave it sit for 30 min, really bizarre.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I had this problem with my first iPod. It was a 3G iPod. I thought it was broken, and took it back to the store and got a new one...

You just need to reset the iPod. First press the middle button for about 1 second, then without releasing the the middle button press the menu button for about 5 seconds, this should reset the iPod.

This should take care of it...:cool:

andy5000

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
my video ipod did this, had to restore it via my mac.
had to transfer songs again but it did the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.