Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2001
My iPod gets hot when charging from the comp, but not when charging from the wall. This is because when connected to the comp, the hard drive spins, even when not syncing or transferring any files. This causes unecessary wear. Has anyone else noticed this? Thank you.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2001
I guess my question is, why does the hard drive spin constantly while plugged into my g4, but not spin at all when plugged into the outlet. Normally I would just use the wall outlet, but my charger is sitting in a hotel in dallas. $50 for a new one.. ouch.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Why the iPod sometimes spins

Originally posted by buffsldr
I guess my question is, why does the hard drive spin constantly while plugged into my g4, but not spin at all when plugged into the outlet. Normally I would just use the wall outlet, but my charger is sitting in a hotel in dallas. $50 for a new one.. ouch.

Your iPod has been programed to spin the Hard Drive when hooked up to your computer because it thinks that you are going to sync songs from iTunes onto it. The Hard Drive in the iPod MUST be running for a transfer to take place.

When plugged into an outlet the iPod's HD should be silent, but the device should still get hot. This is because you are charging the lithium 10-hour battery within it. Usually, when you first receive the iPod it has no battery power. So charging the battery will cause the battery to get hot.

Sometimes you may be charging the battery, but the iPod is not as hot. this means that charging is almost finished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.