Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
I'm having a ton of issues syncing my iPod and have tried restoring it. (Video, 60GB) I can sync certain playlists but with the entire Library selected I get these weird errors at random times saying "The disc could not be written to" and the syncing will just start over.

This has never happened to me before... could it be a certain file that it's glitching on? Is there any way to check a log of the sync or can anyone help

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't know of a way to check the files other than to manually sync across playlists or large groups of files until the problem file arises. :eek:

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
I think I'm going to setup my video camera to watch and see what the hell's going on.. so I can just rewind it back when it errors

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
It's failing in random places... this is a f*cking outrage. Apple won't help either because I'm "out of my 90 day support period". I asked if they even had a solution for this and the woman assured me that they did... for $29.95. What a load of bull.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
so...are you trying to drag and drop the library or what.

Nope, it's just setup by default to auto-sync everything over. "All songs and playlists" and "Only sync checked items". (so that I can uncheck blank tracks from albums, etc.)

I haven't changed anything, and it's always been like that. I can't understand this! I'm tempted to tell it to not-sync Podcasts and see what happens.. perhaps something downloaded that's corrupt.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, that's a good idea. Disable podcast syncing (which is known to have a few troubles in iTunes 7) and see if that's any better. Even though the iPod is out of phone support, it's still under the standard year-long warranty, right?

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Even though the iPod is out of phone support, it's still under the standard year-long warranty, right?

Tried the podcast thing, no luck. "The iPod cannot be updated. An unknown error occurred. (-50)" This sucks, it must be a bug unless there's something wrong with my library... but same thing with 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 :(.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Well, I just hooked up my 3G iPod and that worked, so I unchecked movies, photos, etc. and that still didn't work. It's either a problem with the iPod firmware or some bizarre fluke. (or maybe the iPod is failing?)

Right now I'm going out on a whim and partitioning the drive into 16 separate ones, then going from there :D :mad:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm guessing you didn't use the same cable for the 3G, right? If not, then try using a different cable with your iPod Photo. Also, if you set your iPod to be manually updated, can you drag across most songs individually? I'm not saying you should do this as a workaround for now, but rather just to help pinpoint where the problem might be stemming from. :)

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
I'm starting to think that the hard-drive in the iPod is starting to fail, I will try a different cable if I can find one.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Just an update on this:
It turned out that the song "Burger Queen" by Placebo :rolleyes: was corrupt and screwed everything up. I determined this by restarting iTunes and resuming the syncing every time it errored until it refused to go past that particular track. So I finally managed to get everything back onto the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.