Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:29 PM   #1
macjay
macrumors 6502

iBook 12" 1.33ghz sudden motion sensor?

Hi,

I read in another forum that the 12" 1.33ghz iBook's HDD may make some noise from the Sudden Motion Sensor feature. Is this true? Also, how would you describe the overall noise level of this machine?

Thanks!
macjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:36 AM   #2
operator
macrumors regular

It is VERY quiet all the time. In over a year of use, the fans only came on a few times, as the temp only exceeded 65 a few times despite heavy usage. Even with fans on, it is very quiet. If you listen very closely, you sometimes hear odd sounds from the drive --- plink or plonk type sounds. I once read they are normal. Overall, you never hear this machine running, unless your ear is practically resting against it.
operator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:44 AM   #3
e12a
macrumors 68000

I have read somewhere in the case where there is little activity on the computer, the computer will automatically park the HDD's head to prevent damage should a sudden movement occur.

My C2D's HDD clicks (sounds like the head parking..easily noticable) if i let it sit.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:24 AM   #4
macjay
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses operator and e12a.

operator, can you tell me if your iBook exhibits the speaker/amplifier issue when running on battery as outlined in these two threads?

http://discussions.apple.com/message...320254#1320254

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=166629

Also, if it does happen on battery, does it also happen on AC power?

I'm trying to determine whether all 12" 1.33 iBooks have this issue, or perhaps just some of them.

Thanks!
macjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 01:01 AM   #5
operator
macrumors regular

Yes, I also have this issue on this iBook. It often takes 2-3 seconds for a volume adjustment to happen. Once the volume does change, you can turn it up and down without any delays. The delays only seem to happen if you haven't adjusted the volume for awhile. The issue happens on both power and battery. But it's really no big deal - certainly not something to keep you from getting an iBook.
operator is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs