Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:20 AM   #1
Foxer
macrumors 65816

Apple story in today's Wall Street Journal

A nice long article on Page 1 on Friday 4/25's WSJ. Discusses Apple (or should I say Steve Job's) efforts to refocus the company on digital entertainment.

Nice tidbits about the music service coming next week. .99/song, $10/album. They've got artists that wouldn't allow their stuff on other download services. Stronger safegurads to prevent transferring songs from iPod to computer. Songs will be playable on only 3 macs.

I good read if you have access. I'm sure it's on wsj.com, as well.

"I'll buy almost anything if it is shiny and made by Apple."
Foxer is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:44 AM   #2
melchior
macrumors 65816

stronger safeguards for transferring from ipod to computer... i hope this only applies to AAC DRM "infected" files... i would hate it if i don't have the same flexbilitiy as i have now. well, not hate, but, be a little annoyed. still want one =)
melchior is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2003, 10:48 AM   #3
melchior
macrumors 65816

$1 a song seems way too expensive.

$10 an album and you never know, i might actually sign up for the service after all... especially if they have hard to find, out of print, independant labels, etc...

then again, maybe i won't will wait and see. should be interesting.

but, probably only available to US residents, you know, the rest of us are terrorists and all
melchior is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:22 AM   #4
phgreer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by melchior
$1 a song seems way too expensive.

$10 an album and you never know, i might actually sign up for the service after all... especially if they have hard to find, out of print, independant labels, etc...

then again, maybe i won't will wait and see. should be interesting.

but, probably only available to US residents, you know, the rest of us are terrorists and all

I'd rather pay for one song that I wanted than waste $10-$15 on a CD that had a bunch of songs I didn't care about or would never listen to. I've been looking forward to something like this being nice and legal. I admit I was fascinated by Napster when it came out because of the peer to peer concept and also I could get recordings of weird stuff I can't find in a local "Record" store. (Hey, I grew up in the 70's and 80's I didn't get CD's till the late 80's). I never downloaded or used any of the Napster replacements because I was convicted that sharing files like that without proper compensation for the artists is stealing. I hope stuff available will be more than the modern stuff because I tend to like music that is tried and true. I'm in the the classics from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I also like Movie themes, parody songs and unusual stuff like Weird Al.
phgreer is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2003, 11:35 AM   #5
Kid Red
macrumors 65816

Fine, but can I burn onto a CD then take that CD to another computer and rip it then burn it againa nd again and again?
Kid Red is offline   0
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:33 PM   #6
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

I was wondering the same thing. I don't like the idea of having much of my music on CD's, and only part of my music collection on my computer, where there is no flexibility to play the music anywhere else except on my computer.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 04:11 PM   #7
MacFan25
macrumors 68000

it will be interesting to see if you will be able to burn the CDs with the downloadable music. I hope that you will be able to.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion