Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 17, 2006, 04:46 PM   #1
jackc
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
how does multi-quote work?

The button for multi-quote is new, isn't it? I am probably a retard, but I don't know how it works.

The links to posts within quotes are fairly new as well, I think. That I understand and it's quite cool. I haven't seen that anywhere else, is this forum from the future or something?

Edit: Now I see you can hit multi-quote from more than one post, but I was thinking you could quote from the entry you are responding to, while including the quote within that post. I guess that's not the intention.
jackc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo
Moderator
 
Mitthrawnuruodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bergen, Norway
When you've clicked on the multi quote button on all the post you want to respond to (in a given thread), just hit the Post Reply button and start responding, the new post window will have all the quotes ready for you... it's that easy...
__________________
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it; those who fail to learn history correctly... why, they are simply doomed.
Mitthrawnuruodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 04:55 PM   #3
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor
 
WildCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Yep...those two features are standard in vBulletin 3.6.2. It's been out for a while now, but MacRumors was just upgraded to it about three weeks ago.

Looks like you've got it figured out, but yes, the multi-quote enables you to easily include quotes from multiple posts in a single reply so that you don't end up with a bunch of posts in a row when responding to several previous posts. It has nothing to do with allowing you to quote quotes in another post...that would still have be done manually, and should be done sparingly, as it gets messy very quickly.
__________________
Editor in Chief, MacRumors
WildCowboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 05:41 PM   #4
Doctor Q
Administrator
 
Doctor Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Tip 1: As a shortcut, for the last post you want to quote you can press the Quote button rather than the multi-quote button button and the Post Reply button.

Tip 2: You can select posts to multi-quote across the pages of a thread.

Tip 3: You can select posts to multi-quote in any order. The order will be preseved in your post.

Tip 4: If you select many posts to multi-quote and then change your mind, you can go back to each one and un-multi-quote select it. As easier way when you have many posts is to go to any other thread, click the Post Reply button, click "deselect these posts" under the text area, and then close that tab or window without submitting.
__________________
Oh do pay attention 007. In the wrong hands, this cylindrical 12-core Mac Pro with three 4K displays, FirePro graphics, and Thunderbolt 2 could be very dangerous.
Doctor Q is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Lau
Guest
 
One really good thing about all those sort of features is that you can try them out without making a post. You can try clicking the multi-post buttons, and all sorts of other stuff and then click on "Preview Post" rather than "Submit Reply" and see what it looks like.

Even if you were to make a wrong post, you can click on this on the post next to yours and say that you'd like your post deleted (as you can't report your own post). Or, you can also go in and edit your post later if you've made a mistake. There'll always be a smartass who'll make a sarcastic comment if you've posted by mistake, but I'd ignore them if I were you.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Doctor Q
Administrator
 
Doctor Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lau View Post
Even if you were to make a wrong post, you can click on this on the post next to yours and say that you'd like your post deleted (as you can't report your own post)
I think that unfortunate "feature" has now been fixed so you can report your own posts. That makes thinks simpler.
__________________
Oh do pay attention 007. In the wrong hands, this cylindrical 12-core Mac Pro with three 4K displays, FirePro graphics, and Thunderbolt 2 could be very dangerous.
Doctor Q is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 06:43 PM   #7
Lau
Guest
 
Ooh, so it has. Excellent, thanks, Doctor Q.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 09:27 AM   #8
imacintel
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackc View Post
The button for multi-quote is new, isn't it? I am probably a retard, but I don't know how it works.

The links to posts within quotes are fairly new as well, I think. That I understand and it's quite cool. I haven't seen that anywhere else, is this forum from the future or something?

Edit: Now I see you can hit multi-quote from more than one post, but I was thinking you could quote from the entry you are responding to, while including the quote within that post. I guess that's not the intention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo View Post
When you've clicked on the multi quote button on all the post you want to respond to (in a given thread), just hit the Post Reply button and start responding, the new post window will have all the quotes ready for you... it's that easy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Yep...those two features are standard in vBulletin 3.6.2. It's been out for a while now, but MacRumors was just upgraded to it about three weeks ago.

Looks like you've got it figured out, but yes, the multi-quote enables you to easily include quotes from multiple posts in a single reply so that you don't end up with a bunch of posts in a row when responding to several previous posts. It has nothing to do with allowing you to quote quotes in another post...that would still have be done manually, and should be done sparingly, as it gets messy very quickly.

Works fine for me
imacintel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Doctor Q
Administrator
 
Doctor Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacintel View Post
Works fine for me
FYI, I tried to quote the same post twice (yours) by clicking the multi-quote button and THEN the Reply button, but vBulletin detected my evil trick and and quoted it only once.
__________________
Oh do pay attention 007. In the wrong hands, this cylindrical 12-core Mac Pro with three 4K displays, FirePro graphics, and Thunderbolt 2 could be very dangerous.
Doctor Q is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 05:42 PM   #10
imacintel
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
FYI, I tried to quote the same post twice (yours) by clicking the multi-quote button and THEN the Reply button, but vBulletin detected my evil trick and and quoted it only once.
vBulliten. Is there anything it can't do?
imacintel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 06:22 PM   #11
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacintel View Post
vBulliten. Is there anything it can't do?
Spell check.

Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:02 PM   #12
imacintel
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Spell check.

LOL!

I never reelized that, when I shood have.


imacintel is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I delete old file versions? And how does versions work? KyleGP Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 14 Sep 6, 2013 01:40 PM
Xcode, pay to get apps on the app store? Or how does it work? Ulf1103 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 18 Aug 7, 2011 04:18 PM
Does anyone use SRS iWow? How does it work for you? xpipe iPod 3 Mar 24, 2010 12:22 AM
How does wifi work on the touch, and how much does it cost? retroart iPod touch 2 Jul 15, 2008 02:01 PM
how does carracho work? jvaska General Mac Discussion 5 Jun 4, 2002 01:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC