Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Nov 17, 2006, 06:58 PM   #1
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

Hi, for those who dont know im a freshamn in hugh school and i take an advacned art class. We have to make a parody of the nighthawks painiting and i am doing it on the computer. I have realized people here are generally very helpful, so please critique my creation. Im 14 so my parents jsut say its ok, and leave. i will say that the "jail" part was originallymade as a joke at about 12 at night to keep me going , but i kinda lik eit and so does my teacher. Sorry the image quality is low, it cant ecide the 271 kb and is actually about 2 mb. if you need the full quality image tell me.
I did the background in bryce and put the images in in photoshop. i made it all from scratch. thanks alot.

Here is the picture:
Feel free to critique HARSHLY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nighthawks.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	62282  

Last edited by HexMonkey; Nov 18, 2006 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Post merge
fivetoadsloth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 07:43 PM   #2
iSaint
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to iSaint
That's very good...very creative!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 07:46 PM   #3
Quboid
macrumors 6502

nice
Old Nov 17, 2006, 07:48 PM   #4
srf4real
macrumors 68030

With those skills and your creativity, I think you should have a bright future ahead... very imaginative!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 08:21 PM   #5
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by srf4real View Post
With those skills and your creativity, I think you should have a bright future ahead... very imaginative!
i hope to!
Thanks alot, any suggustions?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 08:37 PM   #6
thedude110
macrumors 68020

I think it's really great -- congrats to you on your hard work!

What would happen if you put the Mona Lisa in jail and the screaming woman in her place? How would it be different? I wonder if it would be "better," "worse," or just different?
thedude110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 08:47 PM   #7
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude110 View Post
I think it's really great -- congrats to you on your hard work!

What would happen if you put the Mona Lisa in jail and the screaming woman in her place? How would it be different? I wonder if it would be "better," "worse," or just different?
this issue with that is the picture of the boy in the window, me, does not apepr to be sitting as the mona lisa does, i like the idea though. THanks!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:13 PM   #8
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

i was messing around with some names for the bar, and i am thinking about "Antique Café" any other ideas? Thanks again.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 04:17 AM   #9
Mydriasis
macrumors 6502

VERY GOOD!!! Great work, I really like it.

But for some critique, I think the negative space shapes at the top and bottom of the image are a little overwhelming. Mainly because of the supersaturated solid color and the high contrast. Remember our eye goes first to areas of highest contrast, brightest, darkest, in-focus, blah blah blah... Once you're up there it's very difficult for the viewer to move back into the 'area of context' because of the hard lines.

My suggestions:
Either add a texture or at least some grain to the solid colors.
Don't use a solid black, some other dark color is fine, perhaps try a gradient to get some lighting effects.
Bring the main subjects (paintings) forward, by reducing the detail around them and don't have them tangent to any lines.

I am only saying all of this because I really like the picture and I think you've got talent. They are just details anyways.
Mydriasis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 04:51 AM   #10
vectormasked
macrumors member

The orange and the green are a bit too saturated. fix the saturation or add some texture in there to make this colours less strong.

other than that, you're doing fine.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 08:34 AM   #11
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydriasis View Post
VERY GOOD!!! Great work, I really like it.

But for some critique, I think the negative space shapes at the top and bottom of the image are a little overwhelming. Mainly because of the supersaturated solid color and the high contrast. Remember our eye goes first to areas of highest contrast, brightest, darkest, in-focus, blah blah blah... Once you're up there it's very difficult for the viewer to move back into the 'area of context' because of the hard lines.

My suggestions:
Either add a texture or at least some grain to the solid colors.
Don't use a solid black, some other dark color is fine, perhaps try a gradient to get some lighting effects.
Bring the main subjects (paintings) forward, by reducing the detail around them and don't have them tangent to any lines.

I am only saying all of this because I really like the picture and I think you've got talent. They are just details anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectormasked View Post
The orange and the green are a bit too saturated. fix the saturation or add some texture in there to make this colours less strong.

other than that, you're doing fine.
Thanks alot, ill work on it, noth suggustions are really good. Thanks again. Any others?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:11 AM   #12
LeviG
macrumors 65816

looks pretty good. Only thing I can see that could be improved (in my opinion anyways) is the colours as mentioned, theyre a bit harsh compared with the rest of the imagery, although they do work in a kind of tron way

The other thing was I think the cropping of the images could be improved a little by just doing a simple feather/fade at the edges to them blend with the scene a bit more - this could just be down to the image you linked to though.
You can see what I mean with the bar and mona lisa, they have a white border/edge around them.
LeviG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 02:23 PM   #13
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviG View Post
looks pretty good. Only thing I can see that could be improved (in my opinion anyways) is the colours as mentioned, theyre a bit harsh compared with the rest of the imagery, although they do work in a kind of tron way

The other thing was I think the cropping of the images could be improved a little by just doing a simple feather/fade at the edges to them blend with the scene a bit more - this could just be down to the image you linked to though.
You can see what I mean with the bar and mona lisa, they have a white border/edge around them.
ok, thanks. In photoshop can you apply a fileter to parts on a flat image, not all? i didnt think you can, and if you could have no clue how to. Thanks alot
Old Nov 18, 2006, 02:40 PM   #14
Mydriasis
macrumors 6502

Make a selection first and PS will only apply the filter to that part of the image.

Better yet, duplicate the layer, apply your filter, and then add a mask and brush out the parts you dont want.
Mydriasis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 02:45 PM   #15
aricher
macrumors 68020

The key is to never save your image as just flat - always save the layered copy as well. If you only have a flattened image you can use the lasso or pen tool to draw a path around the area you want to run the filter on. The pen tool will give you better control than the lasso or magic wand. Once your path is drawn activate it as a selection in the path palette and then run your filter. Make sense?
aricher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:17 AM   #16
fivetoadsloth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricher View Post
The key is to never save your image as just flat - always save the layered copy as well. If you only have a flattened image you can use the lasso or pen tool to draw a path around the area you want to run the filter on. The pen tool will give you better control than the lasso or magic wand. Once your path is drawn activate it as a selection in the path palette and then run your filter. Make sense?
yeah, i realized this, and generally do so. I flateened it to see something, and i think i saved it, a bit of a habit to just do it, and than i restarted from updates open it back up and realize what happened.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:16 PM   #17
mattrud
macrumors member

nice, I've got some stuff I've done recently too. (I'm a Junior in HS)

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics