Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
is it possible to run the mac os gui on a different darwin foundation? eg. mac os x 10.5 will probably be using darwin 9. suppose i don't want to upgrade the gui, but just the darwin portion. could i have the 10.4 gui running on top of darwin 9? has anyone tried this before?

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
anyone? it would seem to me that installing darwin over mac os x would leave the mac os x specific files intact allowing a lower version of aqua to run on an updated version of darwin.

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
I couldn't say, but it certainly sounds like trouble.

Who knows what things a install over the top would break, at least in most other operating systems the planned and designed upgrade process often breaks things, so simply brute forcing it is just asking for trouble.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
anyone? it would seem to me that installing darwin over mac os x would leave the mac os x specific files intact allowing a lower version of aqua to run on an updated version of darwin.

meh. if you back up, if doesn't hurt to try anything! that said, I'd first wipe the HDD, install Darwin 9, and install 10.4 over it. Anyway, that probably wouldn't work. Well, have fun!:)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It could be possible but without knowing the dependencies between the GUI and Darwin, who could say? Even Apple's own developers probably don't know.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
meh. if you back up, if doesn't hurt to try anything! that said, I'd first wipe the HDD, install Darwin 9, and install 10.4 over it. Anyway, that probably wouldn't work. Well, have fun!:)

the problem with that is that you would end up back with darwin 8.x since the installation installs core elements and not just the gui elements.

i haven't had the time to try this yet, but i'll give it a try whenever darwin 9/mac os x 10.5 comes out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.