Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
No, the Battery is fine. Just the POS Powerbook can't properly read how much juice is in the thing, and if I don't plug in the machine or close the lid it will shutdown - not just sleep - from draining all the juice in the battery. and i have energy saver set to go to sleep after 15 min activity. so i have no idea why the hell this is happening.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Repair Permissions first.

And, have you calibrated the battery? Let the computer run down until it puts the computer to sleep (like I think you say it's doing) then plug it in and let it charge until fully charged - the yellow light will turn green on your charger where it's connected to the PB.

Here's an Apple article on the same.

Surely you know this in some way? :confused: :) :)

plunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
no.... it's something more fundamentally wrong with the machine. i've fully recycled the battery a dozen times in the past 2 weeks - unintentionally as the computer doesn't seem to be going to sleep properly when i leave it up.

it's an old computer - 3 years, but the battery is only 9 months old. i have an even older ibook with a new battery acting just as wierd - i get a full 2-3 hours on it, but the battery meter on the ibook never drops below 90%; ie, when it says 95% it's really somewhere around 50%.

This kind of crap makes me want to buy my wife's macbook now rather than waiting for christmas.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Have you ascertained the current information about the battery?

It's available through System Profiler->Power, which is available from the Apple menu->About this Mac->More info or you can use something like coconutBattery to get to the information much more quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.