Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPT

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2006
Hey, I just got my first Mac and I was wondering if I could make it so whn I close the lid the system will NOT go into sleep mode. I don't mind sleep while I am not plugged into a wall or something, just while I am plugged in I would like it to stay active when I close the lid. Sometimes I like to close the lid and go do other stuff while I wait for a large file to download.

Thanks in advance :D

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
For now, not without an external monitor, keyboard and mouse attached.

There are a couple of apps (InsomniaX and SleepLess) that used to provide this functionality, but they were broken by the OS X update to 10.4.8. There's no word on whether a fix is coming.

JPT

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2006
:( Alright, well thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on those two for a fix :)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Just set the screen to lock when the screen saver runs. Running a powered screen with the lid closed will damage the system.

TEG

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
There is an app called NoSleep that does that for you, I don't know if it will work on Intel Macs (it's rather old). I don't really see why you need this, just leave the computer open. Is there really an advantage in your life to having it closed and still on?

ColdFlame87

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
A lot of heat from the mbp is released from the keyboard, so although possible its not recommended you close the lid while the computer is still running especially if running processor intensive tast. I would suggest you just leave the lid open while your file downloads

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
A lot of heat from the mbp is released from the keyboard, so although possible its not recommended you close the lid while the computer is still running especially if running processor intensive tast. I would suggest you just leave the lid open while your file downloads

The MBP doesn't vent that much heat through the keyboard, which is why Apple happily supports lid-closed mode on them when connected to externals.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state

Wrong, you're thinking of the iBook. Both the MacBook and the MacBook Pro are perfectly fine, and supported by Apple, to run with the lid closed.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
If you are concerned about the potential effect of heat on the LCD in the clamshell mode, you can open the lid after you start off as a clamshell mode. Your MBP (like PB)'s LCD will stay off as long as you start off as a clamshell mode. I do this with my PBs with ACD set up occasionally. I think Apple will not make that feature available if it would damage the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.