Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 19, 2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Chacala_Nayarit
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Chacala_Nayarit
Ibook G3 frooze, hard kill, now will not start, help!

The computer clicks, like: click, click, click...hard drive make normal sound, and than works fine.

Well, I choose to hold the power button down to force shutdown, and now the power button is now responsive.

In the past couple days, it has took like fifteen minutes to boot. That includes the Grey screen, going to a blue screen and nothing happening. So I force shutdown and reboot, then it goes to login screen and when I click my name, the beachball spins and nothing happens. So I reboot again, it goes directly to my desktop, the beachball spins, and the system starts up.

I have an iBook G3 600MHz, 384MB SDRAM, 40GB hard drive (SMART verified, disk premissions fine) and 8GB left. Do I have too many files on my computer? Does the hard drive need defraging? Am I screwed?
Chacala_Nayarit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 05:07 PM   #2
Chacala_Nayarit
Banned

Update, it booted up. I am waiting to see what happens....going to desktop, beach ball spinning, no clicks, OS-X has booted!

Oh, I wish I had the money for a new computer! 470.00 per month in unemployment does not afford even a refurb.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:23 AM   #3
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Okay, so it's working normally now? If I were you, I'd verify the drive in Disk Utility. If you're running pre-Tiger, then just go straight to fsck, just to make sure the file system's okay.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:02 AM   #4
Xenesis
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Xenesis Send a message via MSN to Xenesis
That click sound is the sound of a dying hard drive. I'd do something about backing up quicksmart.
Xenesis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Chacala_Nayarit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenesis View Post
That click sound is the sound of a dying hard drive. I'd do something about backing up quicksmart.
Everything is backed up on DVDs. So how much is a new hard drive? This computer only cost 256.00 shipped on eBay.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Chacala_Nayarit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew View Post
Okay, so it's working normally now? If I were you, I'd verify the drive in Disk Utility. If you're running pre-Tiger, then just go straight to fsck, just to make sure the file system's okay.
Thank you. No, it's beyond okay, it sucks. I thought about putting twenty dollars a week in savings, and eventually I will have enough for an Intel Mac.

I did the command + S at start up and ran /sbin/fsck -fy, the return indicacted it was fine.

Not sure what the hell is going on. I rebooted from the command line and the system is at the grey screen with Apple and spinning thingy - for the past 7 minutes. Last night it took twenty-two minutes to boot, and the system frooze simply running Camino and Finder. After ten minutes of the beachball spinning, I just hard killed the system and considered selling for parts on eBay.

Last edited by Chacala_Nayarit; Nov 22, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:53 PM   #7
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Yeah, I think it's time for a new 2.5" notebook hard drive. Check with this iFixit guide as to whether you want to replace it yourself or get it done by a professional.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs