Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:00 AM   #1
xJulianx
macrumors 6502a

So, with christmas nearly here...

...I am going to be getting my equipment for doing some recording at home. For christmas I am going to be getting - monitors, analog mixer and a MIDI keyboard. Everything else I will be buying at a later date.

Of course, being gifts bought by family members, there will be a budget, my Mum is going to be spending around 100 and my grandmother 50. My father is going to send me over some money so I can buy whatever else I need.

So basically, my budget allows for a cheap, budget range of gear, which is fine, as I am fairly new to recording and don't want to be spending thousands.

I would like an analog mixer, with at least 4 XLR inputs, this is all I require from this.

I know very little about monitors, but what I do know is that I want to get some active ones to save buying a suitable pre-amp seperately.

As for the MIDI keyboard, I think I know what I am going to get, it's an M-Audio keyboard that costs around 50 I believe, can't remember the model name/number.

If anyone has any suggestions of equipment that fits my needs then please share with me. thanks.
xJulianx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Mydriasis
macrumors 6502

So if your dad throws in another 100 pounds(can't fine the symbol, and I'm lazy) you'll have 200 for both the monitors and the mixer. Thats though, you might want to get them one at a time.

Anyways for monitors you could look at:

Alesis M1
ESI near 04 and 06, or nEAR 05
M-Audio Studio Pro 3 and 4, or DX4
Fame 1060AM, 1050AM
Fostex PM04
Edriol MA 15D
Samson Resolv 40a

I haven't heard them all but like the Fostex, the Fame and Alesis the most; hear for yourself.

As for mixing thats harder, what do need exactly other than 4 XLR imputs? Midi imputs? A/D Converter? Phantom?
Mydriasis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio