Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:25 PM   #1
sam10685
macrumors 68000

what's up with this?! (Wii won't connect.)

i contfigured my Wii system so it will use my wireless network. it configures good.. says everything is good to go but when i go to sign on, it's either really slow and doesn't last long before it disconects or it doesn't connect at all. right now i'm sitting here in my living room couch on my powerbook and my Wii is over in the other corner of the room and the access point is in the other room wich is about 30-35 feet away. when i'm on the couch, i'm further away from it then the system is and i'm around 2 walls and my signal on my powerbook is 100% the Wii is basically in a straight line from the access point (30-35 feet away). i try to connect but it stay's on the screen with the gyrating blue dot and says Connecting. Please wait... it's been on that screen for about a half hour. the blue dot graphic is cool-- but gosh. i really just wanna download a few NES games. maybe some other stuff too. (Please help!!)
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:59 PM   #2
hoyboy9
macrumors member

Had a similar issue with my Wii. I have a Linksys WRT54G v5. It turns out that I had the wireless speed set to "G Only". I went in and changed the setting to "Mixed B/G" and the Wii connected and updated perfectly. Check to see if you have a similar setting in your router.

Check to make sure you have the most updated firmware for your router.

Also, go to the Nintendo WiFi connection website, they have a great section on router-specific issues.

Nintendo WiFi Support

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:28 PM   #3
sam10685
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyboy9 View Post
Had a similar issue with my Wii. I have a Linksys WRT54G v5. It turns out that I had the wireless speed set to "G Only". I went in and changed the setting to "Mixed B/G" and the Wii connected and updated perfectly. Check to see if you have a similar setting in your router.

Check to make sure you have the most updated firmware for your router.

Also, go to the Nintendo WiFi connection website, they have a great section on router-specific issues.

Nintendo WiFi Support

Hope this helps.
it does and thank you but i don't know how to check any of that. i have a weird brand of router. it's a Cisco Systems Aironet 340 Serios. i've never heard of that in my life. i just moved the Wii more inline with the doorway and i was able to download the original zelda and the original donkey kong. maybe i should do that. except it disconected after i did that so i don't know. should i go buy a Lynksis or a D Link? i don't get this.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:01 PM   #4
sarcosis
macrumors 6502a

Cisco is the parent company of Linksys. Cisco usually makes products for business. For example, let's go with Dell. When the need a switch, they go to Cisco. They are a very solid brand. My guess is that you are a bit far away. Try moving the access point closer and see what that happens. If that dosen't work, try lifting t he access point so it can broadcast better.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:28 AM   #5
NinjaMonkey
macrumors regular

I was having the same problems but there is an easy fix. Change your router's channel to either 1 or 11. So far this has been working for most people.
NinjaMonkey is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games