Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I used to use an ibook 600 12", and just got a new ibook 900 14". The apple av cable to mirror the screen on a tv won't work with the new ibook. It still works with the old one, so I know the cable didn't go bad or anything like that.

Is there anything that would make that cable not work with this new ibook? Are either the 14" models or the new (900mhz) models different in some way from my old ibook that would cause this to happen?

thanks.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
This is a change that Apple implemented some time back. I think it had to do with the computer misreading inserting a set of earphones as inserting the AV plug. So, now the video-out goes out through the monitor port. It still takes a special cable, but a different one. I'm afraid that you'll have to buy a new AV cable for your new iBook.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
That kinda sucks. But on the plus side, the cable's only ~ $20. Probably better quality output now, though. Thought I saw one at Fry's, and I know the Apple Stores usually have plenty in stock.

Just be sure they give you the right one. ;)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
ah, thanks for the info snowy.

I see on the apple store that they still list an ibook av cable... but it looks exactly like the one I have now. Is it actually different though? i.e. The new av cables work with the new ibooks but look identical to the old av cables? That's a little confusing for the customer, I think.

speed: there's no comparison between the speed of the 600 and the 900. The 900 feels snappy and very responsive. The 600 was ok, but a little more sluggish. Graphics is the biggest change- I went from 8 VRAM to 32, and the difference is huge. Overall, the 900 feels very very fast to me. I'm not a professional doing a whole lot of demanding video editing or anything, but I use a lot of programs and the 900 is very fast with everything. I am/ was using 640 RAM in both btw.
The finish is a matter of opinion, but I like the new look better. The inside is much lighter, almost white, whereas the old inside was more like a light grey. The new inside also has a very lightly textured feel as opposed to the old inside, which was perfectly smooth.

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by Snowy_River
This is a change that Apple implemented some time back. I think it had to do with the computer misreading inserting a set of earphones as inserting the AV plug. So, now the video-out goes out through the monitor port. It still takes a special cable, but a different one. I'm afraid that you'll have to buy a new AV cable for your new iBook.
Actually, your AV cable still has some usefulness if you still want to have the audio come out of your TV. It's just that the yellow video cable of the AV cable will be useless on newer iBooks.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
This is the cable you need:

Video Adapter

The Apple Video Adapter for iBook, PowerBook G4 (12"), or 17-inch iMac (1GHz) was specially designed to allow users to connect to S-video or composite video devices. The video adapter cable plugs into the Video Output port (mini-VGA) built into the back of the computers listed. The Video Output port supports VGA, S-Video, and Composite video out. Use the Apple Video Adapter cable for S-Video or Composite video output only (connect to your TV, VCR, or overhead projector's S-Video or RCA (composite) cable). Use a separate VGA Adapter for VGA video out.

Important:
Requires iBook without an external reset button,12-inch PowerBook G4, or17-inch iMac (1GHz) with mini-VGA port.

If you go to the Apple Online Store, and go to the Cables page, you'll find this item close to the bottom.

Attachments

• m8734ga_125.jpg
    m8734ga_125.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 705

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
ah yes, thanks. That makes sense. Annoying to have to have 2 cables, but good to know what I need. But now I have to check and see if my tv has s-video... I think it doesn't. :( Too bad, since I use my ibook as my home dvd player.

also, that looks like a really short video cable. the ibook would have to be awkwardly positioned, or else I'd need an extension cord type thing as well... :rolleyes:

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by QCassidy352
ah yes, thanks. That makes sense. Annoying to have to have 2 cables, but good to know what I need. But now I have to check and see if my tv has s-video... I think it doesn't. :( Too bad, since I use my ibook as my home dvd player.

also, that looks like a really short video cable. the ibook would have to be awkwardly positioned, or else I'd need an extension cord type thing as well... :rolleyes:

The cable has both S-Video and Composite jacks, and another cable is required to use the adapter (composite or S-Video), as the adapter only has cable connections (no actual cable to connect directly to the TV)

I had the same problem when Apple replaced my iBook 500 with an 800 a few weeks ago. The old A/V cable became useless, and I just bought a new one a few minutes ago.

EDIT: Here's a little diagram of what the cable leyout is:

iBook -> Video Adapter -> Composite or S-Video cable -> TV

beaverclea

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
So in addition to the new video adapter that would need to be attached to the tv, would I also need to attach something to the audio socket for audio. I asked the apple store guys and they said I would need to buy an monster isplitter, and which would allow the audio to split to the left and right speakers. Does anybody know of any good alternatives. Seems like apple made this much more difficult than the origional audio video attachment 1 cord(which i never had problems w)

Used to be in the 600 Ibook
ibook -> av cord -> TV

Now in the newer iBooks 800 and above
iBook -> video adapter -> s-video or composite video out -> tv

iBook -> isplitter -> audio cords -> TV

What a hassle and extra expense! GRrr

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
hey! you found an old thread of mine! :)

yes, it certainly is an annoyance. The connection on the ibook 600 was so simple.

I don't use a splitter or any such nonsense. I just run a standard audio cable (with the red and white plugs) from the headphone jack of the laptop to the audio-in jack on the TV. Maybe you need the splitter if you have external speakers, but I just use the TV's built in speakers and no splitter is needed.

The video-out set up is as you describe however.

beaverclea

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
so the audio plug you use, It has one input and two outputs, kinda of like the isplitter below? Any idea where you bought it? Thanks

Attachments

• t6178lla_90x80.jpg
    t6178lla_90x80.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 588

Paladin

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2002
Houston, TX
You don't need an iSplitter and extra cables. Just buy a Monster iCable, which is an all-in-one solution. It works perfectly with my iBook, but, more importantly, it works better with the dock on my iPod. You can get them online, or from Best Buy and CompUSA.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Pardon my ignorance, what purpose does the iSplitter serve? I go from the minijack on my iBook 800 to RCA jacks on my receiver. I dont really find it that big of a deal.

Edit: Nevermind, im a moron.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.