Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dane0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
Well, really the title says it all... I'm at university and I write assignments based on a standardised 2400 characters per page platform. It would be hugely helpful for me to have the amount of characters in a document displayed in the status bar, instead of the number of words, which I really don't care about. Been searching Google and these forums for the last 30 minutes and didn't find anything, so anyone know if it's possible?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm not at my Mac, but if clicking, double-clicking, and right / ctrl clicking on the part of the status bar that shows word count don't give you any options, there is probably no easy way to change it. :( I'm pretty sure that with the other fields, such as the field in the status bar of Excel that shows you the sum / count / max / min / average / etc of the selected fields, you just click on it and a pop-up menu lists all of the options that can be displayed in the field.

dane0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
Hmm, there's probably no way to do this, as none of that works :-( Interruptive for my work flow, but probably that's what Microsoft has always been about for the computer world;)
Thanks for the help...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Possibly an Americentric thing also... I cannot recall ever having had character x page limitations placed on me in any higher-educational or publishing environment in the US.

I'm not clear on what you're doing, but is it possible or helpful to use a mono-spaced font and work out the spacing so that your page can only hold the allotted characters? Does this make sense? If you have 2400 characters per page, for instance, find a font and pitch perhaps that does 60 characters / line x 40 lines. Andale Mono is a not so bad example.

You just have to do this once and then save it as a template. After that, you'll always know you have met the character requirement, because you will ALWAYS have met the character requirement.

llimbo72

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
2011 update

Hi there -

Clicking on the status bar at the bottom in Word for Mac 2011 brings up a window that shows character counts with and without spaces, as well as lines, paragraphs and pages. Very useful :)

marywoodsen

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
2012 update: character counts

You can also select just the text you want character counts for ... then follow llimbo72's suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.