Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:08 AM   #1
szsiddiq
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
12" Powerbook GPU swap with a 15" powerbook gpu

Has anyone ever heard of such a mod?
szsiddiq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:18 AM   #2
Chundles
macrumors G4
 
Chundles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Gong, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by szsiddiq View Post
Has anyone ever heard of such a mod?
You can't do it.

The graphics components are soldered and incorporated into the logic board - the PowerBooks (and iBooks, MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac mini and 17" and 20" iMacs) don't have graphics "cards" as such, the bits are just merged into the logic board design.
__________________
This is going straight to the Pool Room
Chundles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:20 AM   #3
szsiddiq
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chundles View Post
You can't do it.

The graphics components are soldered and incorporated into the logic board - the PowerBooks (and iBooks, MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac mini and 17" and 20" iMacs) don't have graphics "cards" as such, the bits are just merged into the logic board design.
i meant with some resoldering - not saying i could do that - but if i could, could the logic board theoretically support it? looking for EE's or CE's to answer this lil question for an ME
szsiddiq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Sdashiki
macrumors 68040
 
Sdashiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Behind the lens
no.

im no electrical engineer but ive seen hard soldered chips like these GPUs before.

there is absolutely NO way you could remove the GPU from the board.
__________________
The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do.
- B. F. Skinner

Like Polaroid?
Sdashiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:33 AM   #5
szsiddiq
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdashiki View Post
no.

im no electrical engineer but ive seen hard soldered chips like these GPUs before.

there is absolutely NO way you could remove the GPU from the board.
im sure it wouldnt be the easiest thing to do, but im just curious to kno if a hardware swap would do it, or if there are firmware/driver differences that would just not allow this to work
szsiddiq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:36 AM   #6
Sdashiki
macrumors 68040
 
Sdashiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Behind the lens
i dont understand your question anymore...

hardware swap what?
__________________
The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do.
- B. F. Skinner

Like Polaroid?
Sdashiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:47 AM   #7
szsiddiq
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdashiki View Post
i dont understand your question anymore...

hardware swap what?
sorry, i meant the GPU, if it could be removed, regardless of the difficulties, would the logic board support it?
szsiddiq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:55 AM   #8
davidjearly
macrumors 68000
 
davidjearly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by szsiddiq View Post
Has anyone ever heard of such a mod?
I disagree with the others. I think it could be done, with great difficulty and skill.

Try googling around.

David
__________________
15" i7 rMBP (late 2013) | iPad mini 16GB | iPhone 5S 64GB | Apple TV 2 | Nikon 1 Series
Flickr
500px
davidjearly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:58 AM   #9
topgunn
macrumors 65816
 
topgunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Texas
It can't be done. Period. End of story.

If it is an academic exercise and we are going to make the assumption (albeit a false one) that the GPU could be swapped between the machines, we would have to know which 12" PB and which 15" PB as there are many different revisions with a few different GPU's.

But it is quite pointless as it can't be done. The GPU is surface mounted. There aren't pins sticking out the other side of the logic board that you could desolder.
topgunn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:59 AM   #10
Sdashiki
macrumors 68040
 
Sdashiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Behind the lens
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgunn View Post
The GPU is surface mounted. There aren't pins sticking out the other side of the logic board that you could desolder.
those were the words I should have used.
__________________
The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do.
- B. F. Skinner

Like Polaroid?
Sdashiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 09:59 AM   #11
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000
 
MoparShaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Francisco
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the graphics "chip" isn't just one chip. It's a series of many pieces all soldered onto the motherboard. Sure, you could remove all of them, but you'd end up with a paperweight and some change.

And I am an engineer (albeit not an EE).
MoparShaha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:08 AM   #12
szsiddiq
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgunn View Post
It can't be done. Period. End of story.

If it is an academic exercise and we are going to make the assumption (albeit a false one) that the GPU could be swapped between the machines, we would have to know which 12" PB and which 15" PB as there are many different revisions with a few different GPU's.

But it is quite pointless as it can't be done. The GPU is surface mounted. There aren't pins sticking out the other side of the logic board that you could desolder.
that answers my question
Thanks!
szsiddiq is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12" Powerbook GPU overheating while driving external displays clockwise33 PowerPC Macs 6 May 26, 2011 12:05 AM
G4 15" Powerbook GPU Clock speeds prvt.donut PowerPC Macs 0 Jan 5, 2008 04:05 AM
12" Powerbook, 2nd hand with scratches (help plz) jolla PowerPC Macs 4 May 10, 2007 05:10 AM
Would this memory (RAM) work with new 15" PowerBook? VogonPoet PowerPC Macs 36 Nov 30, 2005 11:38 PM
12" Powerbook Won't Start With Battery ftf1013 Macintosh Computers 8 Oct 23, 2004 12:59 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC