Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
Hi All,

I have a Powerbook G4 1.5 w/ 1GB of RAM and the stock 80GB HD. I've run this puppy pretty hard for a couple of years now, and it's lately started to lag a bit - perfectly natural.

I was considering buying a new notebook but I've decided to wait until after Leopard comes. So my question is:

1) How do I determine the max RAM I can put in this machine?
2) Are there are specific specs I need to be concerned with when swapping out the Hard Drive? Any type, size limitations, speed limitations, etc.

I'd love a little input as to how I find out this info. I think instead of taking the notebook plunge now, I'm going to put a nice new hard drive in this one and possibly bump up the RAM a little more if it will take it.

Thanks!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hi All,

I have a Powerbook G4 1.5 w/ 1GB of RAM and the stock 80GB HD. I've run this puppy pretty hard for a couple of years now, and it's lately started to lag a bit - perfectly natural.

I was considering buying a new notebook but I've decided to wait until after Leopard comes. So my question is:

1) How do I determine the max RAM I can put in this machine?
2) Are there are specific specs I need to be concerned with when swapping out the Hard Drive? Any type, size limitations, speed limitations, etc.

I'd love a little input as to how I find out this info. I think instead of taking the notebook plunge now, I'm going to put a nice new hard drive in this one and possibly bump up the RAM a little more if it will take it.
Sources for info:
Apple.com/Support/Specifications
You could look the machine up at a memory vendor's website that has a configurator.
Everymac.com

Anyway: Your Powerbook G4 1.5 15" or 17" machine has 2 memory sockets and can take a maximum of 2 Gb RAM with 2 x 1 Gb PC2700 SODIMMs.

It takes a 2.5" 9.5 mm thick IDE (parallel ATA) hard drive, I am not aware of any Gb limits on the drive, you can use 4200, 5400 or 7200 RPM drives. Your stock drive is probably a 5400, but may be 4200.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
Thanks, exactly what I expected but I just wanted to make sure. I'm leaving to go out of town for the weekend, decided to replace the hard drive and bump my RAM tonight, and only had one shot to get it right.

I'm not sure why I didn't see that info on the website - it was pretty much in your face. But thanks for the heads up. The hardest part of the damned process was opening the freaking Powerbook case!! I have scratches all over the front now from trying to get one the latches over the CD/DVD drive un-stuck... it apparently was just a tiny bit bent, and that screwed up the works. Otherwise, the entire process took 15 minutes. I always wondered why people whined so much about changing the hard drives, but I guess after 20+ screws and bent latches/casing I now understand.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. Cheers.

krestfallen

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2005
i also can tell you a story of replacing my PB harddrive. i had to make a cut in the screw between the superdrive and the hdd with a dremel. it was a mess and a friend of mine had to assist me with a vacuum cleaner ;) it was a pretty smart operation.

lucky as i am i didn't scratch anything, it's my baby - nothing but the best for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.