Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I was playing some old freeware games for Mac OS 9 and was playing lemmings when my Clamshell iBook just turned off and now I get the Blinking folder with question mark. I made a live CD of ubuntu where it's talking to the harddrive but the iBook won't boot to OS X so i am trying to figure why.
Is it possible one of the games I played had a virus in it? Will erasing OS 9 do anything? please let me know if you have any ideas.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
I was playing some old freeware games for Mac OS 9 and was playing lemmings when my Clamshell iBook just turned off and now I get the Blinking folder with question mark. I made a live CD of ubuntu where it's talking to the harddrive but the iBook won't boot to OS X so i am trying to figure why.
Is it possible one of the games I played had a virus in it? Will erasing OS 9 do anything? please let me know if you have any ideas.

Could be a bunch of things...

1) Try a few restarts, you never know....

2) Try a PRAM reset (Command-Option-P-R) on restart

3) Boot from another disk/drive if you can, and run utilities....

You didn't give more details on what OS you are running, so tell us more and maybe we can help...

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I have tried PRAM resets, plain resets and have no Apple CDs with me but are there any images of bootable repair/restore disks i could use. BTW I also dont have access to my Powermac, only a bunch of PCs with XP CD/DVDRW drives.
PS: I have 10.4.8 and 9.2.2 which i think the software corrupted the 9 folder.
Please let me know if you know any software or can send me any disk images that will work. Thanks

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
I have tried PRAM resets, plain resets and have no Apple CDs with me but are there any images of bootable repair/restore disks i could use. BTW I also dont have access to my Powermac, only a bunch of PCs with XP CD/DVDRW drives.
PS: I have 10.4.8 and 9.2.2 which i think the software corrupted the 9 folder.
Please let me know if you know any software or can send me any disk images that will work. Thanks

Well, if you have an externally bootable drive, try booting from that. Then run utils. IF you don't have another external device to boot from, then images won't do you any good either. You'll need to wait until you get access to discs.

Have you tried holding down the option key during boot, and seeing if your machine sees the OSX system?...

In OS9 you might have fried one of the OSX core files, in which case a reinstall when you can is the only choice.

This is why I'm going to be making a clone of my newly installed MB system onto a firewire drive.

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I dont have an external drive but I do have a PC with Firewire that maybe I can connect to, but are there bootable disk utility ISOs out there on the web that I could use? It wont reboot to OS 9 which I was using for the old games and I can't find any commands to make it boot to OS X.

Using the Option key shows nothing unless I put in my Linux Live CD.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
I dont have an external drive but I do have a PC with Firewire that maybe I can connect to, but are there bootable disk utility ISOs out there on the web that I could use? It wont reboot to OS 9 which I was using for the old games and I can't find any commands to make it boot to OS X.

Using the Option key shows nothing unless I put in my Linux Live CD.

Sounds like part of the system software got fried....

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Does anyone have a disk first aid .iso or utility CD that would work on my iBook?

Hate to say it, but you may need to wait until you have access to your system disks again. The utils will fix a HD problem, but not the OS problem. And even if you do get a temp fix, it's likely to be unstable.

Best best is to wait until you have access to your discs and fix it right....

IF you are near an Apple store, the Genius bar might be able to help out.... but they'll be busy tomorrow....

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
ok thanks for the help everybody. I am going to wait until I have access to cds so that i dont mess this up further. I appreciate the help everyone has given me.

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
I'm trying to make sense out of all this. And i dont. Can you tell me what images you are booting from and what running utilities mean. I am studying comp engineering first year, Hungry for knowlege.

Thanks

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
I'm trying to make sense out of all this. And i dont. Can you tell me what images you are booting from and what running utilities mean. I am studying comp engineering first year, Hungry for knowlege.

Thanks
You can't boot from an image (which is a copy of a disk CD/DVD/or a HD), but you use the image to create a disk that can be booted from. Either on a CD/DVD or on a HD.

The utilities most likely needed is the basic Apple DiskUtility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.