Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
My brother's trackpad isn't working.... any thoughts. I did a restart and that didn't do anything. Will reseting the PRAM solve this issue. What about the PMU..

edit - i tried the PMU and nothing happened....

popelife

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
iBook trackpads do occasionally seem to just die. Hasn't happened to either of my iBooks, but it did happen to my girlfriend's - went a bit intermittent. iBook eventually sent away for repair and was fine.

(A mouse worked when the trackpad didn't BTW).

Obviously try all the reset advice first.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Same problem here. Fresh OS install, PRAM reset, PMU reset, nothing!

Anybody got any advice?

When I spotlight search in System Preferences for 'Trackpad', I get two options, one of them being trackpad sensitivity and the other being Turn off trackpad, but when I click them it says something along the lines of 'The trackpad option menu is hidden because you do not have a Trackpad installed!'

Really? Then what the hell am I looking at? And when I do the same search on my mac mini I don't get these options, so it obviously knows that the trackpad is sort of there...

silvervipertb

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2007
ibook trackpad

i had the same problem with an ibook G3 , the 12.1 inch model. I thought it was the trackpad/palmrest assembly, but I actually found that the connector for the ribbon cable mounted on the motherboard came apart at the solder points. I'd check this before buying a new palmrest . mine looks like it just twisted off. now i have to use a mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.