Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avinator

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Hi,

I just purchased my first mac from Frys the other day. A gorgeous power mac g5 dual core 2.0 open box manufactured late 2005..... I am pretty impressed by how easy it is to run a mac ( worked with windows for the past 6 years and with Ubuntu for the past 2 moths which I love by the way.. and I have it installed on another machine )

The other day I tried to copy some mp3 to the my new Mac and everything worked really nice...except ..on my 3rd disk the system "froze" nothing went on for a few minutess and then the fans went wild after about 2minutes after the "freeze"! so... I just unplagged the machine waited a few minutes and then...everything went back to normal. ( fans are quite now... ) :D

Anyway.. I have a handfull of questions...

*why did my G5 Freeze ? any ideas ?
*any thoughts on the g5 vs the Intel 2 duo ?
*worth extra mula ? I would need to shell out another 700 clams.. ( for the 2.0 gz machine..
*what would be an adequate memoryfor the G5 1 gig ?
*Apple care or Frys care ? ( apple 3 years at $250.00 - Frys 5 years @ $300.00 )

Thanks for your help !

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Welcome to Macs. :)

*why did my G5 Freeze ? any ideas ?

Who knows. If a CD is scratched then it can sometime freeze iTunes, but the great thing about Macs is that it shouldn't affect any other app. Was it running really hot? If it happens again, check the Console in the Utilities folder to see if your Mac recorded what was happening.

*any thoughts on the g5 vs the Intel 2 duo ?

Depends what you use it for, really. I still use a G5 (iMac) and love it. It's powerful enough for me.

*worth extra mula ? I would need to shell out another 700 clams.. ( for the 2.0 gz machine..

Whoa, are you talking about getting a Mac Pro for $700? That sounds like a pretty good price! :cool:

*what would be an adequate memoryfor the G5 1 gig ?

Once again, it depends on what you use it for. The Power Macs generally have a sweet spot around the 2GB mark. Macs have excellent memory management and are capable of utilising what you throw at them. Having said that, they are quite memory-hungry.

As you probably know, increasing the amount of memory will never hurt but it won't necessarily help, either. It will reduce the bottleneck that is constantly using the hard drive which should reduce the amount of slow downs you have when using your system. A good way to check if you need more memory is to monitor the rate at which page ins and page outs accumulate in Activity Monitor (also in the Utilities folder). :)

*Apple care or Frys care ? ( apple 3 years at $250.00 - Frys 5 years @ $300.00 )

Sorry mate, no idea. :eek:

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
Buy AppleCare. you are getting better protection by the company that actually made it.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I have a dual core G5 as well and love it. Got it this past April. I have 3.5 gigs of RAM right now, but I've heard the sweet spot is 4. I guess they really take off with that amount. If I were you, I'd get at least 2 gigs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.