Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 26, 2006, 04:39 AM   #1
EM87
macrumors regular

iMac C2D 17" or iMac G5 20"

Hi all, I am back with even more questions!

I amay be getting an Apple computer, hopefully an iMac, but I am not too sure which one to get. I can get a C2D 1.83Ghz 17" (basic model with onboard graphics and Combo drive) for AU$1549 or I can get G5 1.8Ghz 20" with super drive (it does not have the built in isight though) for AU$1595.

Now I have a few questions regarding the G5 CPU and the graphics in the 20" G5.

First off, will the G5 be able to handle Leopard well or is Leopard being designed just for Intel based Macs and not for the PPC based Macs?

2. How much faster are the C2D's then the G5's, is it actually 40% which Apple are claiming or is it just a marginal improvement?

3. Does anyone know what sort of graphics the 20" pre built in isight have in them? Is it some crappy onboard graphics or does it actually have a dedicated chip?

4. Is the G5 chip 64-bit or is it just a 32-bit chip?

5. Will I see much of a speed difference between the C2D and G5 if I will only be using the iMac for Firefox, iTunes, open office and MSN messenger?

If anyone could answer my questions I would greatly appreciate it as I am new to Macs and have no idea about them (I am also new to Intel, use AMD all the time, so I have limited knowledge of them).

I really need help as I want a Mac but I can not decide what to get and to make my choice even harder, I have just been offered a killer PC for AU$1700. Though I want a Mac this PC has very good specs and my mate is offering it to me before he try's to sell it else where so now I am really not sure what to do!

PS to make it even harder then what already seemed impossibly hard, I have just spotted a Power Book G4 for only AU$1300.
EM87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 05:00 AM   #2
crazycat
macrumors 65816

[QUOTE=EM87;3091586]Hi all, I am back with even more questions!

I amay be getting an Apple computer, hopefully an iMac, but I am not too sure which one to get. I can get a C2D 1.83Ghz 17" (basic model with onboard graphics and Combo drive) for AU$1549 or I can get G5 1.8Ghz 20" with super drive (it does not have the built in isight though) for AU$1595.

Now I have a few questions regarding the G5 CPU and the graphics in the 20" G5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM87 View Post
First off, will the G5 be able to handle Leopard well or is Leopard being designed just for Intel based Macs and not for the PPC based Macs?
Leapard should work fine on any G5 mac. Here are the system req for Leopard:

http://stevensmac.wordpress.com/2006...-requirements/

Quote:
2. How much faster are the C2D's then the G5's, is it actually 40% which Apple are claiming or is it just a marginal improvement?
A lot faster. Loading time is amazing, my MacBook Pro starts in like 10 secs. The G5 will be faster at running adobe photoshop, office and other apps that are not binary but most apps will be changed to run on intel macs. Rosetta which translate the software dose a very good job at running apps but they do run a bit slower.

Quote:
3. Does anyone know what sort of graphics the 20" pre built in isight have in them? Is it some crappy onboard graphics or does it actually have a dedicated chip?
I have no idea, but would it need its own chip? If your looking for a good camera for chatting online then it does the job very well.

Quote:
4. Is the G5 chip 64-bit or is it just a 32-bit chip?
90% sure its 64 bit.

Quote:
5. Will I see much of a speed difference between the C2D and G5 if I will only be using the iMac for Firefox, iTunes, open office and MSN messenger?
Not much difference in msn, firefox but office will be a bit slower on the C2C. iTunes will be a lot faster.

If anyone could answer my questions I would greatly appreciate it as I am new to Macs and have no idea about them (I am also new to Intel, use AMD all the time, so I have limited knowledge of them).

I really need help as I want a Mac but I can not decide what to get and to make my choice even harder, I have just been offered a killer PC for AU$1700. Though I want a Mac this PC has very good specs and my mate is offering it to me before he try's to sell it else where so now I am really not sure what to do!

Quote:
PS to make it even harder then what already seemed impossibly hard, I have just spotted a Power Book G4 for only AU$1300.
Well if all you want to do is run office, msn and itunes while browsing the web a G3 iBook would work. Since you can afford an intel mac i really think you should get it. You can run windows on it, play window games and best of all it can be switched into a mac via bootcamp I would really recommend the intel mac over the G5.

Gl
Old Nov 26, 2006, 05:07 AM   #3
EM87
macrumors regular

Thanks for your help.

I have been digging around the net a bit more and found a MacBook 1.83Ghz for only AU$1500 (ex-demo), it includes a 13" screen (big enough for me and would make it nice and portable) it does not say if it is a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo though, might look into it a bit further. I still like the iMac the best out of them all.
EM87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs