Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Hi all,

I need a good presentation software, like Keynote, Powerpoint or something like that, for creating better than-average-looking business presentations. I´m going to create the presentations at home and I´ve iMac and a PC with both XP pro and Ubuntu.

However, the presentations will be done using a corporate PC that has Linux and XP, so if I get an Apple based software, I have to port the presentations to some format that can be used in either XP or Linux.

What would you recommend?

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
I use PowerPoint on my PC to make presentations, but nothing I'm assuming on the level that you are.

I've heard that Keynote on Mac can make great presentations. The problem is porting it to PC. You can export it as a .ppt file but the transitions and other major things get screwed up.

I actually haven't heard of any other good presentation software out there other than Keynote and PowerPoint. Well, there is the open-source software like OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice but I doubt that those are as good as PP/Keynote.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
if u only need to present, but not edit the file on win/Lin, then u can use print as PDF function under OSX, from either keynotes or powerpoint.
if u need to present AND edit the file on Mac/win/Lin, the the only choice u have is openoffice.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Thanks!

I don´t need to edit the presentations on the PC, just present them.

I think XP is my best choice to use for presentations because there are not many remotes available for Linux.

What do you think would give better results, using keynote and prints as PDF or use Powerpoint?

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks!

I think XP is my best choice to use for presentations because there are not many remotes available for Linux.

What do you think would give better results, using keynote and prints as PDF or use Powerpoint?

if u print as pdfs, remember u can only show each finished (ananimated slide with no media) but if all you want to do is show slides, i would chose keynote over powerpoint becuase it just looks nicer i think

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Thanks!

I've had a lot of experience using both Keynote and Powerpoint.

Powerpoint makes it a lot harder to make a good looking presentation. It renders shadows horribly and just seems to look shotty in general. Keynote is amazing if you are using any kind of shadows (text, objects...).

I would personally print from Keynote as PDF (i think you can also export as images) and import them into Powerpoint. You won't be able to do transitions within that slide though. Could you borrow an iBook, Powerbook, MB or MBP? I've done a lot of Keynote presentations from my old iBook and it handled a lot more than I ever thought it could.

Applespider

macrumors G4
How about exporting the Keynote presentation to Quicktime?

Then use that embedded into Powerpoint? Or in QT itself since it is available for XP.

You'd keep any animations and there are options for how to export the movie? You can have it automatically each animation and switch slides after times you set, or have them come in after someone hits the space bar on the QT viewing Mac/PC

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
How about exporting the Keynote presentation to Quicktime?

Then use that embedded into Powerpoint? Or in QT itself since it is available for XP.

This is true, I had completely forgotten about this ability. I'm not near a copy of Keynote at the moment, but I can't remember what quality you can export at though. Is it good enough for presenting to a group on a projector?

You would be able to play the presentation in QT, but remember you can't play it full screen without QTPro...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.