Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now Available via Software Update:
Security Update 2006-007 is recommended for all users and improves the security of the following components:

AirPort
ATS
CFNetwork
Finder
Font Book
Font Importer
Installer
OpenSSL
PHP
PPP
Samba
Security Framework
VPN
WebKit
gnuzip
perl

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61798

SciTeach

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
NEK
I may not be a programmer but how does increasing the security of the FontBook protect my computer?!? Just Curious.:)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I may not be a programmer but how does increasing the security of the FontBook protect my computer?!? Just Curious.:)

They don't say but I assume it was possable for someone to make a carefully constructed "Trojan Horse" font such that when you tried to view it in Font Book something unexpected would happen. Likely Font Book failed to check for a buffer overflow and is corrected in this release.

war

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2005
Chicago

Problems with font book can actually cause problems with the rest of the system. Back when I was still using 10.2 I have some bad fonts in fontbook that kept causing problems with the entire system. As soon as I removed the fonts the problems stopped. It seemed weird to me too but it worked.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW

Wish I could remember the specifics, but I remember reading (some years ago) how the way fonts are rendered makes them somewhat similar to executables. This is, if I remember correctly, not OS specific - the same theoretical issues exist in Windows, X11 font rendering, etc.

Sorry, I realize that without the specifics this raises more questions than it answers. :) But basically fonts are, theoretically at least, a potential exploit path.

Edit: Looks like the Linux on the XBox folks use this sort of thing to their advantage.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
My C2D mbp booted up slow after installing this update. (after the initial restart. have yet to restart a second time).

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I noticed this update before anyone even posted on here. Yippee to me.

Debating whether to install it on just the PPC or the Intel... any advice? I use the MB daily, but the iMac is the trustworthy machine.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
No Intel 10.4.7 version

Hmm, there doesn't seem to be a version for 10.4.7
No matter what I've tried so far, 10.4.8 kernel panics my MPB.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
"Repair Your Permissions" LOL I Kid...I Kid :)

I wish!
This is the first update since the 10.1.x days that went bad for me on any of my Macs. I've done all the usual... permissions, combo updaters, pulling ram... nothing seems to help with this one.
When I can afford some down time it looks like I'm going to be forced to reinstall the OS from the original discs and try to update from there.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Reset the wallpaper on the G5. Weird. Safari was a bit fruity too. Thought I would plunge in as I will only forget to do it if not.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I just went on my old timer PC that my mom has now claimed to see if their were updates all I got was mediaplayer 11 and was disapointed. I love updating my mac so this should be fun.

Will it give me a loud frightening screech like last time, you will all know soon. :p

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
I can't get it to install on my CD macbook.

I get this: A networking error has occurred: timed out (-1001). Make sure you can connect to the Internet, then try again.

I am connected....

Any help?
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.