Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 28, 2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Lapsus
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Lapsus Send a message via MSN to Lapsus
Is my ibook dead? Serious booting problem

Two days ago my iBook G4 1Ghz started to have a big problem in turning it on: when I pushed the power button the fan started to whirl speedier than usual and nothing happened. The monitor stayed turned off and the startup "Boeing" did not sound.

I tried to reset the PMU and the PRAM several times and the iBook finally turned on (I still don't know why!!). I did a hardware test and no problems were detected.
Then, I connected my connection Ethernet cable and the computer crashed down. Now I am in the same situation that Iíve just described: I canít turn the computer on anymore and the fan starts wheeling.

I also showed this problem to a local Apple center and they told me that the motherboard is dead. I am still not convinced, because one time I have been able to restart the iBook.

What do you think? Is the motherboard really broken?

Thank you,
Lap.
Lapsus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:06 PM   #2
baummer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to baummer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
Two days ago my iBook G4 1Ghz started to have a big problem in turning it on: when I pushed the power button the fan started to whirl speedier than usual and nothing happened. The monitor stayed turned off and the startup "Boeing" did not sound.

I tried to reset the PMU and the PRAM several times and the iBook finally turned on (I still don't know why!!). I did a hardware test and no problems were detected.
Then, I connected my connection Ethernet cable and the computer crashed down. Now I am in the same situation that Iíve just described: I canít turn the computer on anymore and the fan starts wheeling.

I also showed this problem to a local Apple center and they told me that the motherboard is dead. I am still not convinced, because one time I have been able to restart the iBook.

What do you think? Is the motherboard really broken?

Thank you,
Lap.
Yes, the motherboard is dead.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:13 PM   #3
Maxiseller
macrumors 6502a

Well, we don't know that it's dead for sure - it could be a number of other things, but the evidence certainly stacks in favour of the logic board being the faulty component, especially as the Apple Store told you too.

Have you got Applecare? If not, you're buggered. If so, problem solved!

If it really is toast and you have no Applecare, I suggest flogging it on eBay - you'll get quite a bit for all the parts or the faulty unit! Save for a new Macbook no?
Maxiseller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:25 PM   #4
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
I really didn't even read all of your post when I came to the conclusion that your motherboard is about to die....get all important stuff off it as soon as you can...sorry pal.

Bless
Old Nov 29, 2006, 01:12 AM   #5
Lapsus
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Lapsus Send a message via MSN to Lapsus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiseller View Post
Have you got Applecare? If not, you're buggered. If so, problem solved!

If it really is toast and you have no Applecare, I suggest flogging it on eBay - you'll get quite a bit for all the parts or the faulty unit! Save for a new Macbook no?
No, I don't have Applecare.. Anyway the iBook is almost 3 years old and time has come for it to be reselled as broken stuff on ebay.
I think I'll buy a new MacBook, but I still don't know if is it worth to pay more for a 3-year warranty this time. Here in Switzerland, and I guess also by you, Applecare is pretty expensive.

Thank you for the replies!
Lapsus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs