Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1
zflauaus
macrumors 65816

Extract Audio from MPEG-2 File or AVI/DIVX File?

I have a concert I recorded and I would like to extract the audio from either the MPEG-2 file or the DIVX file. Is there any program that will extract either the AC3 or MP3 audio? If it is the AC3, what else do I need to use to convert it to MP3 or AAC or WAV?

Sorry if it's already been posted before.
zflauaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:44 PM   #2
clevin
macrumors G3

ffmpegx; drag ur divx/mpeg-2 file to source area, and at video tab, un-check "encode video", you can shoose which audio output format you like
http://www.ffmpegx.com/
clevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:57 PM   #3
Chef Medeski
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevin View Post
ffmpegx; drag ur divx/mpeg-2 file to source area, and at video tab, un-check "encode video", you can shoose which audio output format you like
http://www.ffmpegx.com/
Nice thanks. Been lookin for a solution as well.
Chef Medeski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:05 AM   #4
LABachlr
macrumors newbie

I tried encoding it, and I got an error:

output video width is not divisible by 16

The thing is, I have unchecked the box for "encode video". Also, by default, in the location for where I am saving the file, when I dragged and dropped the file that I wanted to save, the extension of the file that was going to be created was .ff (.divx.ff to be exact). But in the Target Format section, it says MP3.

Ideas?
LABachlr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Dembo
macrumors regular

Dunno about ffmpegx but I just used Quicktime Pro to extract the audio track of an avi file to wav: Simply use File/Export and select wav.

Cheers,
Dembo
Dembo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Xavier
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dembo View Post
Dunno about ffmpegx but I just used Quicktime Pro to extract the audio track of an avi file to wav: Simply use File/Export and select wav.

Cheers,
Dembo
Thats what I do, works fine
Xavier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 02:03 AM   #7
LABachlr
macrumors newbie

Brilliant. QT Pro worked beautifully. Thanks. I usually convert my mp3's to 64 bit rate to double the space on my mp3 player (still sounds perfect), but this one I had to up it to 128 bit rate to get the quality to where it should be. Fine with me.
LABachlr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Colonel Panik
macrumors regular

To update this thread, you can use D-Vision 3. It's free and unlimited, unlike other 'free' tools out there which have a 5 minute time limit. D-Vision is fast and the best tool for many different audio/visual jobs.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8825/d-vision
Colonel Panik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:26 PM   #9
camaysar
macrumors newbie

Extract Audio from MPEG-2 File or AVI/DIVX File?

My vote goes to the free MPEG Streamclip. Simple to use, it will take most movie files, and you can export audio to a number of formats including mp3. You do not have to convert the entire file. You can stop at any point and will end up with a file that is complete to that point. Great for movie soundtrack segments (or complete).
camaysar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store