Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:00 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

The etiquette and dangers of signing off emails

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: The etiquette and dangers of signing off emails
Description:: An article in The New York Times this weekend draws attention to the importance and dangers of how you sign off your emails. While everyone knows how to sign off a letter, the more fluid medium of email makes senders and recipients increasingly unsure how to read the signs. At sign-off that becomes crucial: "Those final few words above your name are where relationships and hierarchies are established, and where what is written in the body of the message can be clarified or undermined," the article claims.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
while obviously not mac-specific, I went ahead and listed this because I'm curious what most people use on their email signoffs. I personally stick with the friendly "Cheers" as I find it both casual enough for signing off notes to friends, and professional enough to be an appropriate end for clients.

What do you use?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Allotriophagy

Just "Best" looks and sounds dumb.

I use "Best wishes". Sometimes, if I am writing to someone who has pleased me or similar, I use "With very best wishes".

God, this is amazingly interesting.
Allotriophagy is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:20 PM   #4
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

If it's personal or informal work communication, I just use my name or initial, "-Whosie" or "-w".

If the email is supposed to be a more formal memo, I'll either not sign at all or use
Quote:
Thanks,
Whosie Whatsisface
For something that's supposed to be a formal letter, the whole thing gets traditional block style along with a traditional signature. If time permits, I'll skip the email and instead bring a printed version to a quaint little shop up the road called "Post Office" that can hand deliver it for a small fee.

("luv ya bunches! xoxoxo" ain't gonna happen here )
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:22 PM   #5
spicyapple
macrumors 68000

"Best regards," works well, although I prefer "luv ya bunches! xoxoxo" AND I make sure to use HTML-formatted emails with white unicorns, pink hearts and yellow daisies to adorn the background.

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo
spicyapple is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:25 PM   #6
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

A person I was obliged to work with who signed off the most inconsequential notes to people he did not know:

Warmest personal regards,
Ima B*^^head

(the name has been changed to something more accurate).

Did not trust this person further than I could throw them... how can you trust someone on the big things if they are willing to skate on the small things?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:37 PM   #7
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allotriophagy View Post

I use "Best wishes". Sometimes, if I am writing to someone who has pleased me or similar, I use "With very best wishes".
What kind of emails are you sending?
Koodauw is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:42 PM   #8
SMM
macrumors 65816

I use 'Best Regards' in most formal correspondence. Unless I actually know someone on a message board (rare), I do not use any closing remark, except any occasional variation of 'thank you'. It works for me.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:31 PM   #9
Fiveos22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Fiveos22 Send a message via Yahoo to Fiveos22
Does a hyphen count as a sign-off?

- Fiveos22
Fiveos22 is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:37 PM   #10
TheBusDriver
macrumors 6502

I usually just end it with a simple Steve however if its family ill say Love,Steve
TheBusDriver is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:56 PM   #11
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Thanks, Regards, Cheers, or something else -- depending on who I'm writing to, and the subject. I think no sign-off can be appropriate if the correspondence has turned into an exchange of brief, rapid-fire e-mails with one person. Otherwise, it can be kind of rude, especially if they also omit their name from the bottom of the e-mail.

You can always tell when someone has added the sign-off to their signature line -- it never changes. That's always struck me as perfunctory and cold.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 02:27 AM   #12
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

I'm not entirely sure about this but 'best regards' doesn't seem that prevalent here in the UK. Sounds a bit clumsy to me...

Anyway, it varies with me and the situation. Internal work emails don't even get a warm and fuzzy sign-off unless they're longish and part of an ongoing discussion. External ones might get a 'cheers', 'thanks' or 'regards'... I tend to be quite curt but often prefer phone calls, internal and external, if the matter is not one of record.

Kind regards
Blue Velvet
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2006, 02:59 AM   #13
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

I'm a "Thanks," or "-name" type of person. Sometimes I'll switch it up with "Regards". Don't use one if, as IJ Reilly pointed out, the exchange has become rapid clarifications or quick follow-ups.

If it's someone I know then I always try to vary the sign off in some way. Overcompensation for a lack of message, perhaps. For some time I became disinclined to use sign-offs in emails. As time progressed, I'd noticed a distinct lack in their usage, and so I had always felt odd in actually using them.

EDIT: I just wanted to say that I really appreciated this MacBytes. It's one of the more interesting ones to come up in a while. Thanks go to the submitter and MudBug for approving it.
Lixivial is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2006, 03:57 AM   #14
Ish
macrumors 68000

I might say Best Wishes to someone I know but not closely. If I'm talking with a friend I usually say love and my name the first time but if we're sending emails back and forth about something I might just put love and my initial second time and then nothing at the end after that.
Ish is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2006, 05:57 AM   #15
apachie2k
macrumors 6502

cheers is so versatile, you can use it for those akward situations like suprise e-mails, and you almost never see it in the u.s. so i wonder what they think about it....

i use thanks, many thanks... i'm young, and it just doesn't sound right that someone my age (18) is using kind or best regards...
Old Nov 29, 2006, 05:59 AM   #16
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

I use...

Thanks,
<insert realworld name here>

Works for me. Everyone else here in the studio generally uses 'kind regards' instead, but it seems a bit, well, girly...
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:09 AM   #17
Kernow
macrumors 65816

For work, I almost always use 'many thanks' or just 'thanks' followed by my name. If I'm sending a personal email, I'll usually just sign off with my name, but may add 'love' depending on who it's going to.

A lot of people at work use 'regards', which I quite like.

Don't know why this subject is so fascinating, but it is
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:35 AM   #18
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Direct Link to the NYT

(I had to dig it up, as the link provided in the OP wasn't working for me.)

I think I vary a lot based on the person. But I never really use things like "best" or "best regards." For people I love, sometimes, "Hugs and kisses" or a simple "I love you!" For friends, usually something along the lines of when we can/should next communicate. For business, usually I just end with a concise statement of whatever it is I want. I tend to get rid of the hi/hello after the first message in business also.... But I don't know. You know, like you only really ever get feedback on this occasionally when you get to see the visceral response of the person you've been communicating with, or when you have a one-off experience where someone tells you. I think I do okay, but not necessarily excellently....
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:39 AM   #19
mpw

....or else, and remember; No cops!
mpw is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:44 AM   #20
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpw View Post
....or else, and remember; No cops!
Or there's always, "You talk, I'll kill you!"
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:24 AM   #21
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to atszyman
Personal emails usually have little to no sign off.

The bulk of my professional email involves either getting or answering Tech support questions for my companies products. There "Thanks," "Regards," or "Let me know if I can be of further assistance," (or some variation on that theme) seem to cover about 95% of the emails I send. The remaining 5% are either to co-workers who need a quick answer/document, those may end with a -name or nothing at all.
atszyman is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:33 AM   #22
spicyapple
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM View Post
Warmest personal regards,
Ima B*^^head

(the name has been changed to something more accurate).
Do you butt heads often with other 4-legged grazers?

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo
spicyapple is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:35 AM   #23
Queso
macrumors 603

"Yours, in anticipation"

Queso is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:39 AM   #24
nplima
macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

This signing off with the own name seems kind of strange to me, since the FROM: already has the name in there.

Qapla!
nplima is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:51 AM   #25
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Usually just write

Thanks,
name

Simple and to the point.
jdechko is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion